• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

When the woodshed pays off!

brucecy92

Tonight was one of those rare nights where my guitar playing broke through to another level. It's been stuck in second gear for several years now and I finally got it into overdrive. My tone, timing, and structure all got turned up to a notch I didn't think I could get to.

I've been working on becoming a lead player and spending a lot of time learning things stylistically that are very uncomfortable. Once I was warmed up at rehearsal this evening those hours started paying off and I hit a few licks that made the drummer and bass player miss a beat. No joking they were wide eyed looking at my hands as i was ripping on this new song. I've been playing with those guys for over a decade now and that doesn't happen. Just for a little bit I got to feel like whatever sound I wanted my guitar to make, it just happened, without much effort. Wrote and finished a keeper song with a seriously killer rock riff & a solo that blended with it perfectly, front to back in 20 minutes that may be my best work ever.

It was a night where making that guitar sing was as much fun as a guy can have standing up. Shout out to everybody here that's given me advice on how to improve and how to see my approach in a different light. Anyway, guitar player geek-out over.

corpse

Once in a while all the planets line up for us mere mortals. Good for you- keep doing what you have been doing!