• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Anyone ever refret with 6100 frets ?

MOJO RISIN

I would love to see a picture of a refretted les paul with 6100 ish big frets . If you have, are you glad you did ?

AJCR

The replies in these sort of threads boil down to:

Those who like that sort of fretwire....who will say they liked it.
And those don't like that size fretwire....who will say they didn't like it.

If you don't like the stock fretwire and prefer larger, then you will most likely like it. As these sort of things only ever concern personal preference which will only be up to you to decide on - once the re fret is done. The likely removal of nibs will also be another preference aspect to consider.

The only objective thing to note is that taller frets will require a new nut to be installed.

CK6

I would love to see a picture of a refretted les paul with 6100 ish big frets . If you have, are you glad you did ?
I have the StewMac equivalent on 3 guitars and really like it. Glad I did it for sure, and I’m sure you would be too.

i think the ZW Custom has those frets so see if you can get your hands on one.

JP'59

I did! I never really liked it. The frets were way to big for me and felt like railroad tracks as you moved up the fret board playing. I like the stock 59 frets Gibson is using on the Historic re-issues.

Anje

I have 2 old Gibson that were refretted with Jumbo 6100 frets, a '70 LP GT and '76 LE Explorer.
I love those big frets on Gibson when looking for a classic rock / hard rock feel & related playing style.
I also think the way they are dressed / setup is playing a big part in the end result & related feel.
Both of mine were done by Hogy btw, I would highly recommend him for any work on those old instruments.

erBwWRL.jpg

Vy31nGr.jpg

Cz4j40R.jpg

mCcEXLQ.jpg