• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Hoyer 5060 Custom

gahubbard

I bought this several years ago and it has become one of my favorite guitars to play around the house. About all I know about it's manufacturing history is it was made in Germany in the early to mid 70's. It's built like a tank but plays really well. I'm hoping some of you are familiar with Hoyer guitars and want to share some knowledge on the history. I've searched all over the internet but have not found much.

The photo of the cavity... I'm not sure what all is going on in there but one day I will clean up some of that sloppy soldering.

Last edited:

stratology

I sold a beautiful Hoyer 5069 'Flying Arrow' that I owned since the early '80s a little while ago. Fantastic guitar, great build quality. This was made in the small Hoyer factory in Erlangen in Bavaria (Germany). Bird's Eye maple top on mahogany, neck through body construction, ebony fretboard, brass hardware, Seymour Duncan '59s. These were boutique guitars before they were called 'boutique guitars'.

szNvbcg.jpg

Erlangen and the neighbouring village Bubenreuth were one of the main centres of violin and guitar making in Germany for a long time. The Höfner factory was a 10 minute drive from the Hoyer factory. One of the best German classical guitar builders, Gerold Karl Hannabach (who also was the head of the guitar makers' guild) was located in the same village.

gahubbard

I sold a beautiful Hoyer 5069 'Flying Arrow' that I owned since the early '80s a little while ago. Fantastic guitar, great build quality. This was made in the small Hoyer factory in Erlangen in Bavaria (Germany). Bird's Eye maple top on mahogany, neck through body construction, ebony fretboard, brass hardware, Seymour Duncan '59s. These were boutique guitars before they were called 'boutique guitars'.

Erlangen and the neighbouring village Bubenreuth were one of the main centres of violin and guitar making in Germany for a long time. The Höfner factory was a 10 minute drive from the Hoyer factory. One of the best German classical guitar builders, Gerold Karl Hannabach (who also was the head of the guitar makers' guild) was located in the same village.

Man, that is one good looking guitar! Any idea what year it is? That is very cool that you know exactly which factory it was made in. I've not been able to verify much about when or where mine was made. Early 70's for sure. The original owner was Ron Asheton from The Stooges. I've been able to communicate with not only the guy I bought it from (Jeff Dahl) but also the two owners before him (Gregg and Todd from The Angry Samoans) and they all say the same thing... Ron bought it brand new when The Stooges were on their last leg and living in Los Angeles. He then used it in his short-lived band The New Order. So, the general consensus is it was made in the early 70's... somewhere in Germany.

Did yours have the circuit board like in my photo? I've never had a guitar with this before and I'm a hesitant to put a soldering iron in there. I know it needs cleaning up and one of the tone pots isn't even wired. But I'm going to resist the urge to tinker for as long as I can.

Mine has Seymour Duncans as well... SH1N for the neck and SH4 for the bridge. From what I've been told the original pickups were probably Schallers, which I know nothing about.

I'll say it again... that is one really nice looking guitar you had.

stratology

..Any idea what year it is? That is very cool that you know exactly which factory it was made in.

Did yours have the circuit board like in my photo?

IIRC, I bought it in 1982. I knew where it came from, because I bought it directly from the factory - I grew up in the area...

There was no circuit board in the guitar, just regular, Gibson style wiring. The Seymour Duncans were the original pickups in that guitar.