• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Survey : do you prefer narrow or wide flame ?

Dr. Green

doing a little survey here - if you could have just one historic would you prefer wide or narrow flame ?

lets assume its Eastern maple for either of them

El Gringo

doing a little survey here - if you could have just one historic would you prefer wide or narrow flame ?

lets assume its Eastern maple for either of them
Big and wide and i prefer big leaf western ample

C-4

The shape, and width of the flame is not as important to me as the feel and sound of the particular guitar, but I would probably not want a BBQ looking top, or extremely straight, pencil-thin flame.
They just look too boring to me. ymmv. :)

somebodyelseuk

Flame doesn't do anything for me. You get it on everything with a maple top, regardless of pricepoint.
I own one of each - wide and narrow. If I had to start again, I'm going goldtop.

GreenBurst

Flame doesn't do anything for me. You get it on everything with a maple top, regardless of pricepoint.
I own one of each - wide and narrow. If I had to start again, I'm going goldtop.

I can take the pain out of making that happen. I'll trade you my Goldtop for your wide flame Rx.

Bob Womack

I'm sorry. I've previously voted on this survey with my wallet.

01lpstore.jpg

Bob

El Gringo

Medium-to-Wide, more ribbon or tiger than verging on quilt.

If Mike indulges, using his as an exemplar:

2009_Gibson_Les_Paul_Historic_50th_Anniversary_Burnt_Orange_Teaburst.jpg

More here
https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/...e-some-Les-Paul-reissue-tops-with-WIDE-figure
This is a great Les Paul and i will ask this question and after some responses from the fine folks here i will give the answer that i was given in person Last September upon my visit to Gibson Custom . Using this most beautiful Les Paul - which part of the maple top do you consider the actual flame the lighter color or the darker color of the maple top ?

El Gringo

This is a great Les Paul and i will ask this question and after some responses from the fine folks here i will give the answer that i was given in person Last September upon my visit to Gibson Custom . Using this most beautiful Les Paul - which part of the maple top do you consider the actual flame the lighter color or the darker color of the maple top ?
Now for the answer as told to me at Gibson Custom - the lighter part of the figuring is the actual flame . To some this may seem dumb but just as well for anyone that wanted clarity right from Gibson Custom .

Dr. Green

the light part is the flame

this is exceedingly interesting ...... :hmm

jb_abides

Sounds like fanciful clap-trap to me.

Growth pressure and other factors distort cellular wood fibers in an undulating pattern, figuring being perpendicular to grain.

You need both sides undulating pattern -- back and forth, or rising and falling -- known as 'chatoyance' to catch and reflect light.

They may be referring to what parts of the wood take or reject dye patterns used to enhance the so-called wet look.

:hmm

6L6

All Access/Backstage Pass
I don't have a big preference depending on the overall look. Here's an R0 anniverary V1 that I dig not just for the top but for the way it sounds and plays:
fwjfDt3.jpg