• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bought an Epi Les Paul advertised as a plus top pro but it's a standard?

raffivegas

Hey gang, I bought a used Epiphone Les Paul 4 days ago from Guitar Center. The tag on the guitar said it was a Plustop Pro Heritage Cherry Sunburst. Here is the actual tag, good thing I took a picture of it:

1zE8LNY5iG8Y_aCWu3G015TQA7THpA4NP=w1920-h457-iv1

So I actually bought the guitar over the phone. I went in the first day, I saw the guitar, I didn't hook it up to an amp. I just picked it up, and having been interested in getting a Mitchel Les Paul copy, I immediately noticed how much thicker the body was on the actual Les Paul and how much more substantial it felt. I played it unplugged and it felt great. I checked the fret wear and noticed some, and being paranoid, I wrote it off. Then when I went home, going through the pictures I had taken of the various guitars I was interested in, I came across the LP again and totally forgot I had written it off and forgot about the fret wear. I did some googling about the Plustop Pro and read they come with coil splitting and Probucker pickups. I was sold and called GuitarCenter and bought the guitar over the phone.

I went and picked it up the next day, brought it home and plugged it in. I tried pulling a couple of the pots and none of them had push/pull functionality. This is when I knew something was off. I started doing some research, and it would seem I don't have a Plustop pro at all.

So here are my questions/concerns. First, I want to rule something out. Are there Plustop Pro's that don't have coil splitting? I mean, could it have Probuckers without push/pull pots from the factory?

Should I say something to guitar center? You can see what I paid in the picture I posted above, $404 plus tax. I love the guitar, and the fret wear is not a deal breaker. It plays great, and at least to my forgiving ears, it sounds great too, although yes, it does sound (not gonna say the m word) a bit darker than what I'm used to. Did I pay a fair price? Should I say something to guitar center? One of the reasons I pulled the trigger was because I thought I was getting the newer pickups.

Thoughts? Just want some biased opinions on what you all think :D

1Quq_C47RGervgV1t2XDtoFNK7dTvX6sl=w1920-h938-iv1

1V93UCClNsZNvcFkTbmQQV3JX2L-IeGK-=w1920-h457-iv1

1MYjoLu0V7gg-CWi7VrGQ8vzI6w_BTpjP=w1920-h457-iv1

Number behind headstock/neck is S9201291, truss cover says Gibson, headstock says Les Paul Model in the middle.

raffivegas

so I did some more digging after posting in another forum. Seems like I have a 1992 model, made in Korea, and given the Gibson truss rod cover and seeing pictures of the tuners and serials from other '92 models, I'd say it is definitely a '92 Plustop. I don't think they had the Pro designation then. In any case, I love it, and I'll be keeping it. I'm not sure what to do with the screw on the scratchplate. The butt of the screw is literally resting on the body... Oo