• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bigsby B7 Help

aceoftrons

I'm looking to replace the screw for the arm (pictured below, last one to the right, don't really know the exact name for it) on my Bigsby B7 but haven't been able to detach it from the arm itself, any tips on how to go about it?

images

Last edited:

rick c

For those that can't read invisible ink: "I'm looking to replace the screw for the arm (pictured below, last one to the right, don't really know the exact name for it) on my Bigsby B7 but haven't been able to detach it from the arm itself, any tips on how to go about it?"

Last edited:

rick c

If the bolt head is smooth, not slotted for a screwdriver, then it probably has a square/hex section just below the head that locks into a square hole on the bar. It will be a tight fit as Bigsby don't want the bar to wobble loose. You will have to put the bar on a vice or something similar, protected with tape so it doesn't damage the bar top and gently tap the bolt out of the bar with a hammer. Something like this:

PWW030W.jpg

Last edited:

aceoftrons

If the bolt head is smooth, not slotted for a screwdriver, then it probably has a square/hex section just below the head that locks into a square hole on the bar. It will be a tight fit as Bigsby don't want the bar to wobble loose. You will have to put the bar on a vice or something similar, protected with tape so it doesn't damage the bar top and gently tap the bolt out of the bar with a hammer. Something like this:

PWW030W.jpg

Yes it is not slotted. I'll have to reach out to my tech, I only have very basic tools at home. I figured this wasn't a very common mod or problem that people need help with, just wanted to make sure it was actually doable. Thank you very much!

aceoftrons

There's a helpful parts guide linked on the Bigsby site. They call it a handle stud:
http://www.fmicassets.com.s3.amazonaws.com/sites/bigsby.com/support/2020-Bigsby-Parts.pdf (page 82).

I've looked at the B7 I've got and you need to remove the strings, lift the bar up to remove the spring then you'll have access to turn the nut which will free up the bolt.

Out of interest why do you need to replace the bolt?

Thanks a lot for the reply! Yeah, everything but that handle stud comes off easily (now I finally know the actual name for it!) But as rick c suggested I'll probably need to hold it down with a vice and push the piece out, just way too tight to take it out manually.

This is purely for aesthetic purposes; I'm currently working on a project guitar trying to match one of James Hetfield's Les Pauls and recently noticed he replaced the handle stud with a regular screw.
As a fun fact, I was told by the guy who actually set up that guitar for James, he replaced the spring on the B7 with a brass block to keep it from moving haha
Here's a pic of the guitar.

b26849547ba35989623b292a48c10496.jpg

metropolis

That's a cool looking guitar. I didn't realise James had a few sunbursts until I started seeing pictures last year. He used the one in the photo, or one a lot like it when I saw them live last year.

aceoftrons

That's a cool looking guitar. I didn't realise James had a few sunbursts until I started seeing pictures last year. He used the one in the photo, or one a lot like it when I saw them live last year.

Yeah he brought it out a lot during this last tour, and I’d seen it in pictures before but it just really caught my eye now. Nice to see him play something other than ESPs. But anyway, I’ll try and get the mod done soon and maybe share some pics on how mine is doing 🤘