• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

I scratched the silkscreen...

johnreardon

I scratched the "Les Paul" silkscreen on the headstock of my 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Standard in Cherry Teaburst, whilst changing my strings. Should I: a) have it repaired by an authorized repair center, b) send it back to Nashville to have the headstock redone, or c) simply commit suicide, so as not to inconvenience anyone. Asking for a friend...

You change strings?

You must be a professional :wow:wow

renderit

Of course I am in favor of youth in asia.

Kids should be everywhere!

corpse

With the exception of my teenage years (when I snapped the HS off my 1975 SG twice) the most damage I have done to my guitars has been done during restringing. They randomly flop around- when I am trying to be careful of the ball end harshly rapping the top of the body, the cut end is gouging the neck.
Like Rosanne Rosanne Adanna said "If it's not one thing, then it's the other".
EE- you are a genius BTW. I still marvel at the Car's first album- and Candy-0. Just thank you.

El Gringo

When I break a string I don't take any chances. I just get a new guitar.
Also , the thing to do is to have so many guitars with fresh strings that when one of them doesn't act right grab another one off it's stand and rock out . I am not kidding as I learned a major lesson several years ago to have enough firepower when and if something happens and you have to have a R8 or R9 ready to go at a seconds notice . I learned my lesson well .

garywright

Also , the thing to do is to have so many guitars with fresh strings that when one of them doesn't act right grab another one off it's stand and rock out . I am not kidding as I learned a major lesson several years ago to have enough firepower when and if something happens and you have to have a R8 or R9 ready to go at a seconds notice . I learned my lesson well .

I suppose it was a Madison Square Garden gig ? :hank

Birdseye

Well, if we look at this logically, Elliot, we need to ask: Is your friend a famous chart topping guitarist? If so, suicide would make the guitar much more valuable than either of the other options. It is very rare that this is the best answer, but in this case, it seems to be the right thing to do.

Gold Tone

If it were me, a mere nobody, I’d live with it...be bothered badly for a while...then it would be nothing but a memory of a bother after some time passed.

If I were you, really cool musician / guitar player / icon to me and many, with a lot of pull and history with Gibson, even a signature Tiki SG model...I’d have them fix it up for me

chuck dale

Maybe chop off the headstock and leave it off like one of those Steinburger Guitars or whatever that thing that was "popular" in the 80's?

MacFangus

Like auto manufactures, Gibson must be using "eco-friendly" paint. I've owned many LP's since 1978, and I've never experienced this. Scratchs over top the silkscreen, and never a chip from any of them. The silkscreen can fade due to excessive cleaning; which is why a rarely wipe the face of the headstock. I never wash my Harley either, but that's a story for another time.

BTW... Candy-O was good, but not nearly as good as the first release. Given the quality of the songs, you could have squeezed three or four top selling albums out of the first release. Now, let's all drink a toast to Benjamin Orr! :salude

GotTheSilver

Like auto manufactures, Gibson must be using "eco-friendly" paint. I've owned many LP's since 1978, and I've never experienced this. Scratchs over top the silkscreen, and never a chip from any of them. The silkscreen can fade due to excessive cleaning; which is why a rarely wipe the face of the headstock. I never wash my Harley either, but that's a story for another time.

I wouldn't know. I never clean my guitars! :spabout

El Gringo

I wouldn't know. I never clean my guitars! :spabout
I am with you as if i clean them i will get rid of the mojo . The only thing i do is wipe the strings and the back of the neck ,the last place i ever touch is that thin piece of Holly .

Musicman

Thanks for all of your suggestions. All are being taken under consideration. I've got a fine team of doctors and therapists working with me who all seem to favor euthanasia.

Glad you got it sorted. You could always try this guy! :spabout
dr.-house.jpg

Crunchyriff

Sir, IMO it seems you have two choices:

1. Ignore it

2. Apply C4 liberally and a detonator to the affected area. Hide behind building and flip the switch. (using a licensed Demo team, mind you...)

pdfiddler

Thanks for all of your suggestions. All are being taken under consideration. I've got a fine team of doctors and therapists working with me who all seem to favor euthanasia.

OH YES, I know Euthanasia well. Great looker!

El Gringo

Very nice article in the newest edition of Vintage Guitar magazine . My compliments on a very nice collection of vintage instruments .