The Fender Forum
LPF Facebook Page
LPF Instagram Page
NEW Merchandise!
Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Please Make a Donation to the Les Paul Forum to Keep it Going!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Les Paul Forum Member Elliot Easton's Avatar

I scratched the silkscreen...

I scratched the "Les Paul" silkscreen on the headstock of my 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Standard in Cherry Teaburst, whilst changing my strings. Should I: a) have it repaired by an authorized repair center, b) send it back to Nashville to have the headstock redone, or c) simply commit suicide, so as not to inconvenience anyone. Asking for a friend...
    "A little bit of knowledge can be a very dangerous thing."

Re: I scratched the silkscreen...

Gold Sharpie??? I'm kidding!

I'd leave it and just consider it to be scratch number one. The next one will be easier to accept.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Easton View Post
    I scratched the "Les Paul" silkscreen on the headstock of my 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Standard in Cherry Teaburst, whilst changing my strings. Should I: a) have it repaired by an authorized repair center, b) send it back to Nashville to have the headstock redone, or c) simply commit suicide, so as not to inconvenience anyone. Asking for a friend...
    Clearly, the entire headstock needs to be chopped off and replaced. Be sure to cut perfectly perpendicular to the neck and glue the new headstock on with a butt joint, not one of those gimmicky scarf joints. We don't want any more surface area in the joint than necessary! Look at it as an opportunity to add a stinger!

Quote Originally Posted by GotTheSilver View Post
    Clearly, the entire headstock needs to be chopped off and replaced. Be sure to cut perfectly perpendicular to the neck and glue the new headstock on with a butt joint, not one of those gimmicky scarf joints. We don't want any more surface area in the joint than necessary! Look at it as an opportunity to add a stinger!
    That's kind of what i figured. Chop the whole headstock.

Les Paul Forum Member

That's kind of what i figured. Chop the whole headstock.
    Best to chop the whole guitar.
    I'll relieve you of it for free and do it

I would tunnel in UNDER the holly through a tuner hole and paint it from inside so as nobody could reckon it be redone.

You could use an old spoon that you grind off'n the floor.

I wood do it at night but put your pillow under your covers so's it looks like yer sleepin'!

I vote none of the above .. just leave it, there are worse things in life to worry about

Les Paul Forum Member

First off Mucho respect for your work with Cars , I seen you guys tearing it up on your first tour and been a fan ever since ( now that I got the fan boy stuff out of the way) I would contact Gibson Custom and I think they would be more than glad to help and accommodate you on getting the silkscreened corrected ! They certainly know who you are and would certainly want to take good care of you !

the only solution is to "Steinberger it".

you won't need a string butler...and it'll stay in tune forever!

Les Paul Forum Member

What would Jimi do?

Dan did the Gibson logo it like this but the Les Paul silkscreen would be similar

The farther you go, the closer you are.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    I would tunnel in UNDER the holly through a tuner hole and paint it from inside so as nobody could reckon it be redone.

You could use an old spoon that you grind off'n the floor.

I wood do it at night but put your pillow under your covers so's it looks like yer sleepin'!
    how do you always come up with that stuff???

Thanks for all of your suggestions. All are being taken under consideration. I've got a fine team of doctors and therapists working with me who all seem to favor euthanasia.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. All are being taken under consideration. I've got a fine team of doctors and therapists working with me who all seem to favor euthanasia.
    For you or the guitar???

Les Paul Forum Member vintage58's Avatar
    Detached and subdivided in the mass-production zone.
    It sounds like you've got a lot on your head, and most of it's headstock.
    "And it seems to me perfectly in the cards that there will be, within the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making
    people love their servitude, and producing . . . a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact
    have their liberties taken away from them but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propa-
    ganda or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods." Aldous Huxley, 1961

Les Paul Forum Member fernieite's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fakejake View Post
    how do you always come up with that stuff???
    + 1.

You could hang a sign out your door saying "Relic Work Done By Expert" and watch them line up!

Good tone.....cost good money

Great tone.....years of practice

Trying to think outside the box here. You could just go full Steinberger on it, no?
    Full Disclosure: I built Valclone Amps

When I break a string I don't take any chances. I just get a new guitar.

Tiki Time

You change strings?

You must be a professional

Of course I am in favor of youth in asia.

Kids should be everywhere!

With the exception of my teenage years (when I snapped the HS off my 1975 SG twice) the most damage I have done to my guitars has been done during restringing. They randomly flop around- when I am trying to be careful of the ball end harshly rapping the top of the body, the cut end is gouging the neck.
    Like Rosanne Rosanne Adanna said "If it's not one thing, then it's the other".
    EE- you are a genius BTW. I still marvel at the Car's first album- and Candy-0. Just thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by brandtkronholm View Post
    Brilliant! I will have to adopt this mentality. Safety first!!!

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brandtkronholm View Post
    Also , the thing to do is to have so many guitars with fresh strings that when one of them doesn't act right grab another one off it's stand and rock out . I am not kidding as I learned a major lesson several years ago to have enough firepower when and if something happens and you have to have a R8 or R9 ready to go at a seconds notice . I learned my lesson well .

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    Also , the thing to do is to have so many guitars with fresh strings that when one of them doesn't act right grab another one off it's stand and rock out . I am not kidding as I learned a major lesson several years ago to have enough firepower when and if something happens and you have to have a R8 or R9 ready to go at a seconds notice . I learned my lesson well .
    I suppose it was a Madison Square Garden gig ?

Well, if we look at this logically, Elliot, we need to ask: Is your friend a famous chart topping guitarist? If so, suicide would make the guitar much more valuable than either of the other options. It is very rare that this is the best answer, but in this case, it seems to be the right thing to do.

I think that scratch is Just What You Needed.

Les Paul Forum Member Gold Tone's Avatar

If it were me, a mere nobody, I’d live with it...be bothered badly for a while...then it would be nothing but a memory of a bother after some time passed.

If I were you, really cool musician / guitar player / icon to me and many, with a lot of pull and history with Gibson, even a signature Tiki SG model...I’d have them fix it up for me

Maybe chop off the headstock and leave it off like one of those Steinburger Guitars or whatever that thing that was "popular" in the 80's?

Like auto manufactures, Gibson must be using "eco-friendly" paint. I've owned many LP's since 1978, and I've never experienced this. Scratchs over top the silkscreen, and never a chip from any of them. The silkscreen can fade due to excessive cleaning; which is why a rarely wipe the face of the headstock. I never wash my Harley either, but that's a story for another time.

BTW... Candy-O was good, but not nearly as good as the first release. Given the quality of the songs, you could have squeezed three or four top selling albums out of the first release. Now, let's all drink a toast to Benjamin Orr!

Quote Originally Posted by MacFangus View Post
    Like auto manufactures, Gibson must be using "eco-friendly" paint. I've owned many LP's since 1978, and I've never experienced this. Scratchs over top the silkscreen, and never a chip from any of them. The silkscreen can fade due to excessive cleaning; which is why a rarely wipe the face of the headstock. I never wash my Harley either, but that's a story for another time.
    I wouldn't know. I never clean my guitars!

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GotTheSilver View Post
    I wouldn't know. I never clean my guitars!
    I am with you as if i clean them i will get rid of the mojo . The only thing i do is wipe the strings and the back of the neck ,the last place i ever touch is that thin piece of Holly .

Les Paul Forum Member Blue97FXSTC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    ...,the last place i ever touch is that thin piece of Holly .
    wd7Fmw0G_400x400.jpg
    Longevity is the key to success.

Glad you got it sorted. You could always try this guy!

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue97FXSTC View Post
    I like that and would !

Sir, IMO it seems you have two choices:

1. Ignore it

2. Apply C4 liberally and a detonator to the affected area. Hide behind building and flip the switch. (using a licensed Demo team, mind you...)
    Stay tuned, and stay TUNED.

Les Paul Forum Member pdfiddler's Avatar

OH YES, I know Euthanasia well. Great looker!

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pdfiddler View Post
    OH YES, I know Euthanasia well. Great looker!
    Yeah but she lost her sparkle and she isn't the same

Les Paul Forum Member

Very nice article in the newest edition of Vintage Guitar magazine . My compliments on a very nice collection of vintage instruments .