• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2018 es-335 and es-355 reissue question

Bonamus

2018 es-335 reissue question

Hi all, what is the general view on the 2018 run of limited vos 63 es-335s out of Memphis? (link below)

These come up from time to time on reverb and are usually around 4K+ and i have occasionally seen a new old stock for a bit more than that. I also love the run of walnut 2018s with the maestro but havent been able to play those either.

Has anyone on here played/ owned this model? Do you think they’re worth the $$$?

And does anyone know of future releases that might return to using an ebony board and bigsy for future 355s by chance?

Thanks all!

Links from Gibson:
335: http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/E...63-ES-335TDC-Bigsby-Varitone-Limited-Run.aspx

Last edited:
Gibson must still be having Ebony problems. Very odd to see a 355 with rosewood, but I guess I would rather have that than richlite. I was never a fan of richlite, it's like playing a countertop. Anyway, the 335 looks really nice, but I have no experience with either model first hand. Guess this is a pretty useless reply. Sorry. Looks good and I'd be interested in how that mono varitone is. Side note, I had a 2014 59 historic 345 with the mono wiring with a varitone. My experience was a very dark guitar. I could never get any sparkle out of it and diming the treble on my vintage Fender amps (blackface and brownface) resulted in an unpleasant treble experience. I could not get a good tone out of that guitar. Could be that varitone, not sure if this would be the same design.

Bonamus

Gibson must still be having Ebony problems. Very odd to see a 355 with rosewood, but I guess I would rather have that than richlite. I was never a fan of richlite, it's like playing a countertop. Anyway, the 335 looks really nice, but I have no experience with either model first hand. Guess this is a pretty useless reply. Sorry. Looks good and I'd be interested in how that mono varitone is. Side note, I had a 2014 59 historic 345 with the mono wiring with a varitone. My experience was a very dark guitar. I could never get any sparkle out of it and diming the treble on my vintage Fender amps (blackface and brownface) resulted in an unpleasant treble experience. I could not get a good tone out of that guitar. Could be that varitone, not sure if this would be the same design.

thanks for the reply! That is interesting what you noted about your 345 with the mono varitone...and i would not be happy if the 335 had the same issue! Tough call without being able to play first hand. I probably won't be able to fork over that much cash without checking one out first. I recently played a 2020 custom shop 355 that didn't feel great to me, and a 2018 335 out of memphis that was amazing (but not the model i'm looking for). Then again i bought my SG back in 96 from a catalog and it turned out great lol.

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
I tried an ES 355 with the rosewood fingerboard from that run. I didn't buy it, but that was just circumstances, as I would have loved to take it home. I did find the slotting of a couple of the nylon saddle pieces too shallow, and the string would pop out, but otherwise great.