• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Sad debate on canceling Lynyrd Skynyrd due to Confederate imagery.

deytookerjaabs

Unfortunately 2020 has come to such silliness:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/3064923-lynyrd-skynyrd-racist.html

I wish these people could have met our friend Ed King before spouting this nonsense.

You linked to a discussion board with a poll, in the poll 10 people thought Skynard symbolized racism while 110+ didn't...seems accurate to me.

What's your agenda here?

If people think something is racist, even when wrong, they don't have a right to speak out? Last I checked David Allan Coe will be back up and running in no time, he still rocks the confederate flag, hasn't been "cancelled." Are there venues that might not allow him to play because of opinions of management/ownership? Sure, but it's always been that way.

Last I checked the supreme court ruled if your business doesn't want to decorate a cake for a gay wedding, you don't have to. And, if someone doesn't want Skynard to perform in their venue they have every right to do so.

fender69

You linked to a discussion board with a poll, in the poll 10 people thought Skynard symbolized racism while 110+ didn't...seems accurate to me.

What's your agenda here?

If people think something is racist, even when wrong, they don't have a right to speak out? Last I checked David Allan Coe will be back up and running in no time, he still rocks the confederate flag, hasn't been "cancelled." Are there venues that might not allow him to play because of opinions of management/ownership? Sure, but it's always been that way.

Last I checked the supreme court ruled if your business doesn't want to decorate a cake for a gay wedding, you don't have to. And, if someone doesn't want Skynard to perform in their venue they have every right to do so.

Apparently you aren't aware of some of the songs David Allen Coe has penned and some of the things he's said. I'll bet some folks are.

deytookerjaabs

Apparently you aren't aware of some of the songs David Allen Coe has penned and some of the things he's said. I'll bet some folks are.

Oh, I am.

My point wasn't a personal opinion, my point was that he's still out there being himself and though he's likely not welcome in many venues, he is in many others.

Hell, Eric Clapton has said some stuff (and apologized) in the past.

Arnold M.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/3064923-lynyrd-skynyrd-racist.html

I wish these people could have met our friend Ed King before spouting this nonsense.[/QUOT

so the people who object to the band get to set the rules for everyone now ? ... tough crowd ... something tells me this bunch wouldn't be happy with a night out unless they got to burn some poor sod in effigy ... at the very least ...apparently negativism is contagious ... I really hope they find something that makes them all warm and fuzzy inside other than bulldozing historical monuments .. happy people live longer lives

marshall1987

I wish these people could have met our friend Ed King before spouting this nonsense.[/QUOT

so the people who object to the band get to set the rules for everyone now ? ... tough crowd ... something tells me this bunch wouldn't be happy with a night out unless they got to burn some poor sod in effigy ... at the very least ...apparently negativism is contagious ... I really hope they find something that makes them all warm and fuzzy inside other than bulldozing historical monuments .. happy people live longer lives

You got that right....:hmm

nowadays everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, is required to be thoroughly sanitized... and presented in a manner completely devoid of any historical links, context, or references to America's past. This..... in accordance with the compulsory, racially divisive narrative, prescribed by Silicon Valley elites, Global corporate sponsors, Wall Street financial world minions, and an elite core group of mega-Billionaires who hold ALL the pursestrings. :dang

Sad but true in 2020:##

Last edited: