• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2020 Epiphone LP Special vs LP Junior

Cb2020

Hi all, I’m new here (just registered). I’ve got 3 kids that have a band together and the guitarist (12 years old) is interested in trying a guitar with P90 pickups. Her primary guitar is a Fender Duo-Sonic HS (the recent 24” scale length).

On the list of consideration are:
- Epiphone LP Standard
- Epiphone LP Junior
- Fender Mustang 90

Any guidance/thoughts/opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Cb2020

I think Fender has more fun colors than Epiphone.

Alternatively you could get some humbucker size P90s installed in the Duo-Sonic ... or some Seymour Duncan P-Rails! You could start with just one in the bridge position.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/single-product/p-rails

https://youtu.be/fIZqqjdZ1Hw

Thanks - she’d wanted to keep her existing duo-sonic, but getting another duo-sonic to mod is not off the table - she’s certainly used to the body style and neck.

c_wester

I would go for a wide neck 2015 Les Paul Junior.

Those sound great at least the ones I have tried.

Last edited:

c_wester

Yuo really have to think for yourself.
Almost all acoustic guitars have a wider neck.
Kids also play those.

mrbeasty

The wide neck is though - not a concern for 12 year old hands? Thanks.

I have one of those 2015 LP jr and the neck is indeed very wide. It is not the easiest to play and I do not have the hands of a 12 year old girl. In your case, I wouldn’t buy one without trying.
That said they are nice guitars (once you fix those tuners), they are actual “Gibson USA” instruments, and can be had for ~$800 used, sometimes less.

As it was mentioned, ‘60s Melody Makers can still be found for under $1k, they do not have P90s by default so you have find one that had one installed, hack one, or get a single coil size P90 (Seymour Duncan!). I have a ‘63, it is a fun guitar, although not very girly looking (yellow/brown) and it came in an already “aged/relic” state.

Last edited:

brandtkronholm

For smaller hands, how about a PRS Santana P90 SE? ~$700 or less.
These are a P90 single coil version rather than the usual hum buckers.
It has a 24.5 scale length, 2" longer than the Duo Sonic, but not as long as a Les Paul or Strat.
(Some Duo Sonics have a 24" scale length...)
The neck might be a bit fat and baseball-bat-like.
These Korean made guitars are professional grade.

Link: https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/modern-body-guitars/prs-se-special-santana-electric-guitar-p90-vintage-cherry

It might take some searching...they don't appear to be abundant.

Of all the instruments you suggested in your first post, you really can't go wrong with any of them. They're all excellent choices!
Happy hunting!
[If money was no object, I'd suggest a P90 ES350 from the mid 1950s! They have tiny short-scale necks!]

Cb2020

For smaller hands, how about a PRS Santana P90 SE? ~$700 or less.
These are a P90 single coil version rather than the usual hum buckers.
It has a 24.5 scale length, 2" longer than the Duo Sonic, but not as long as a Les Paul or Strat.
(Some Duo Sonics have a 24" scale length...)
The neck might be a bit fat and baseball-bat-like.
These Korean made guitars are professional grade.

Link: https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-...al-santana-electric-guitar-p90-vintage-cherry

It might take some searching...they don't appear to be abundant.

Of all the instruments you suggested in your first post, you really can't go wrong with any of them. They're all excellent choices!
Happy hunting!
[If money was no object, I'd suggest a P90 ES350 from the mid 1950s! They have tiny short-scale necks!]

thanks - her duo-sonic is a 24” scale. I wasn’t aware that a PRS with P90s existed.

somebodyelseuk

Hi all, I’m new here (just registered). I’ve got 3 kids that have a band together and the guitarist (12 years old) is interested in trying a guitar with P90 pickups. Her primary guitar is a Fender Duo-Sonic HS (the recent 24” scale length).

On the list of consideration are:
- Epiphone LP Standard
- Epiphone LP Junior
- Fender Mustang 90

Any guidance/thoughts/opinions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
At this stage, the Fender.
For a 12 year old, the Les Pauls might t be a bit heavy, plus the Mustang is going to feel more or less the same as the Duosonic, in terms of neck shape and scale length.