• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1960 LP new style standard 0-8875 on Reverb

blueline

https://reverb.com/item/35151050-gibson-les-paul-sg-1960-cherry-inked-s-n-0-8875

Up for at sale at Reverb is 0-8875. I have run across this guitar in my review of 1960 Les Paul standards. It is interesting because it has the little rectangle shape tenon cover found only on the early models. The seller seems to believe the neck was responsible for the headstock repair. Unusual attribution. I will have to dig up my info on this one. The truss rod is not original as it was a blank one originally. These just do not come up for sale very often. 60 years old

El Gringo

Although very cool , A high asking price for a repaired guitar .

I am with you as I feel that is a steep price for a repaired headstock break . I do have some reservations about the tenon cover as that appears off and not right to me , yet I am not the expert as others here are more knowledgeable on these matters as I differ to them on this issue if it is even an issue .

miczap

I am with you as I feel that is a steep price for a repaired headstock break . I do have some reservations about the tenon cover as that appears off and not right to me , yet I am not the expert as others here are more knowledgeable on these matters as I differ to them on this issue if it is even an issue .

Tenon cover is correct for this very early LP/SG serial range. The earliest ones had the rectangular 'block' cover until they moved to the trapezoidal shape. Not entirely sure when the transition occurred, others may be more knowledgable- but I'm fairly certain by 1961 the trapezoid cover was standard.

Aside: I always thought these 'block' covers looked unintentional from a production POV. As though there was a holdup in producing the 'real' covers so they just cut up some scrap plastic in the meantime :laugh2:

Cream Fan

In my opinion that guitar isn't even worth half of what they're asking with that break. Their asking price is dead-mint money.

blueline

Ok my notes indicate that this guitar did have a headstock break but that the repair was supposed to be invisible. This was back in 2007 and the break happened in the UK. So the break should not be visible but there it is. The person that repaired the guitar was so concerned that the invisible repair would be passed of as completely original, he kept the repair photos online. My link to those photos is broken right now.

The tenon cover was the same one seen the promo pictures of the New Les Paul so that is clearly original. Besides the little rectangle cover it also had what looks like nylon saddles. But the owner at the time stated they were bone. I am not sure about the originality of that claim. The 1960 Les Paul has as a blank TRC as a spec and you see that
0-8875 is no exception as the original TRC in seen the pre break photo.

0-8875 before break sporting Grovers

headstock showing original TRC

miczap

Just noticed price has been reduced to 19k USD. Much more reasonable.

blueline

I see that this guitar is sold. The last price I saw was 1900 but I also noted it was going for 1800 in earlier post. It started at 28000. Indeed this guitar had an invisible repair done back in 2007. And it was broken again recently. This time the repair was quite visible. The PAFs look unmolested and maybe there are some double whites under there. Even with a headstock repair it is one the good ones.