The Fender Forum
LPF Facebook Page
LPF Instagram Page
NEW Merchandise!
Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Please Make a Donation to the Les Paul Forum to Keep it Going!

1960 LP new style standard 0-8875 on Reverb

https://reverb.com/item/35151050-gib...ked-s-n-0-8875

Up for at sale at Reverb is 0-8875. I have run across this guitar in my review of 1960 Les Paul standards. It is interesting because it has the little rectangle shape tenon cover found only on the early models. The seller seems to believe the neck was responsible for the headstock repair. Unusual attribution. I will have to dig up my info on this one. The truss rod is not original as it was a blank one originally. These just do not come up for sale very often. 60 years old

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Re: 1960 LP new style standard 0-8875 on Reverb

Although very cool , A high asking price for a repaired guitar .
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

The myth :The most disturbing thing about buying a fake Les Paul is how my research after the purchase is received by Forum members ??? 2020

The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it
    won't you ...... Please !

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AA00475Bassman View Post
    Although very cool , A high asking price for a repaired guitar .
    I am with you as I feel that is a steep price for a repaired headstock break . I do have some reservations about the tenon cover as that appears off and not right to me , yet I am not the expert as others here are more knowledgeable on these matters as I differ to them on this issue if it is even an issue .

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    I am with you as I feel that is a steep price for a repaired headstock break . I do have some reservations about the tenon cover as that appears off and not right to me , yet I am not the expert as others here are more knowledgeable on these matters as I differ to them on this issue if it is even an issue .
    Tenon cover is correct for this very early LP/SG serial range. The earliest ones had the rectangular 'block' cover until they moved to the trapezoidal shape. Not entirely sure when the transition occurred, others may be more knowledgable- but I'm fairly certain by 1961 the trapezoid cover was standard.

Aside: I always thought these 'block' covers looked unintentional from a production POV. As though there was a holdup in producing the 'real' covers so they just cut up some scrap plastic in the meantime

In my opinion that guitar isn't even worth half of what they're asking with that break. Their asking price is dead-mint money.

Ok my notes indicate that this guitar did have a headstock break but that the repair was supposed to be invisible. This was back in 2007 and the break happened in the UK. So the break should not be visible but there it is. The person that repaired the guitar was so concerned that the invisible repair would be passed of as completely original, he kept the repair photos online. My link to those photos is broken right now.

The tenon cover was the same one seen the promo pictures of the New Les Paul so that is clearly original. Besides the little rectangle cover it also had what looks like nylon saddles. But the owner at the time stated they were bone. I am not sure about the originality of that claim. The 1960 Les Paul has as a blank TRC as a spec and you see that
    0-8875 is no exception as the original TRC in seen the pre break photo.

0-8875 before break sporting Grovers

headstock showing original TRC

Just noticed price has been reduced to 19k USD. Much more reasonable.