• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Knocking on your guitar

15Window

In you guy’s opinion what gives and translates to a better guitar, a higher pitched more hollow type sound or a deeper more solid tone? Just curious and thinking out loud lol.

renderit

If you use car keys to do it you are looking for a sharp staccato sound followed by a slightly drawn oot ringing.

In stores it is very hard to test because the screaming usually drowns it oot.

fakejake

I can only see this being relevant when selecting woods for building a guitar. As soon as the guitar is built and ready to use, there are easier ways to judge its sound: just play it

Elliot Easton

If you use car keys to do it you are looking for a sharp staccato sound followed by a slightly drawn oot ringing.

In stores it is very hard to test because the screaming usually drowns it oot.

I'll sometimes rap softly at the side of my head with my mouth open to varying degrees. When I find the sweet spot, I record it and just bang on a bunch of guitars until I hear that familiar hollow ring.

goldtop0

I'll sometimes rap softly at the side of my head with my mouth open to varying degrees. When I find the sweet spot, I record it and just bang on a bunch of guitars until I hear that familiar hollow ring.

:rofl

But seriously folks.........I look for any resonance or give whatsoever(the more the better) in a LP or 335.....knock knock knock on wood.........plink plonk:2cool

GotTheSilver

Knock knock knockin' on your guitar
Hey, hey, hey-hey, yeah
knock knock knockin' on your guitar

pdfiddler

All this time ( I'm now 69) I've been searching for the secret of life and all be, your the one who has been holding it.👍🤔

MacFangus

...who's there?

Seriously, I'd love to know what makes two identical guitars sound so different? I have two R7's, one of which may or may not have a mahogany top. The suspected mahogany top R7 is very heavy in the lower midrange. They don't sound anything alike. Why?

S. Weiger

...who's there?

Seriously, I'd love to know what makes two identical guitars sound so different? I have two R7's, one of which may or may not have a mahogany top. The suspected mahogany top R7 is very heavy in the lower midrange. They don't sound anything alike. Why?

They are made of wood. That's why. Like humans, each tree was different from the other. And the guitars are made by humans, not robots AFAIK. :)
And if your two R7's are made in different years, the pickups can vary.
To see if the top is mahogany, I think if you remove the control cavity plastic plate and look at the top from beneath, you should be able to tell.
Didn't know they made R7's with all mahogany body? :hmm