• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My Traditional is very sick. Help!

Argon66

I have a Traditional.
My Neck pup is super dark, and seems to be getting worse.
Also, I was getting more buzz, even more than my Tele..

So...

I dropped the pup.
Raised the poles. No difference.
Still super muddy. And I mean dark mush. Not useable.

Then checked the pots.
300k. Doh.
So replaced them with CTS 500 k.
No difference.

Then i did 50's wiring.
Not better at all.
Infact the buzzing seems to be getting worse.
The only way to help with the buzz is to actually put my fingers directly on the pups.
Usually resting my hand on the bridge or strings is enough. Not now.

So...do you think the neck pup is dying? F'd up?
Never experienced this before.

Before I doll out $$ for new pups, thought I had better check with the experience in the forum.

Thanks Folks.

mrbeasty

For the buzzing it should go away when you touch the strings/bridge. The fact it doesn’t would indicate that your bridge may no longer be grounded. There should be a wire going front the bridge posts to the pots cavity, near the neck volume. Perhaps it is loose?

The tone thing is a bit of a mysterious to me. Check for that loose ground wire perhaps it is touching other things?
Try disconnecting the tone cap?
If it is still muddy, wired correctly, on a 500k pot ... then it must be the pickup, but I’ve never heard of a pickup changing tonality. They typically work or don’t work.
Is the guitar stored next to other magnets? Speakers?

tybone

For the buzzing it should go away when you touch the strings/bridge. The fact it doesn’t would indicate that your bridge may no longer be grounded. There should be a wire going front the bridge posts to the pots cavity, near the neck volume. Perhaps it is loose?

The tone thing is a bit of a mysterious to me. Check for that loose ground wire perhaps it is touching other things?
Try disconnecting the tone cap?
If it is still muddy, wired correctly, on a 500k pot ... then it must be the pickup, but I’ve never heard of a pickup changing tonality. They typically work or don’t work.
Is the guitar stored next to other magnets? Speakers?

Definitely sounds like a ground wire is disconnected like MrBeasty said. I'd check continuity for all connections from pickup to output jack. I'd also check the resistance of the dark pickup just to make sure both coils are still connected and working.

somebodyelseuk

You changed the pots, so assuming you're competent at soldering, that should rule out grounding/wiring at the pots, as long as the bridge to pot case is present and correct.
Make sure nothing is shorting where it shouldn't, such as caps against cavity shielding, braids on live tags.
What state is the jack socket in? Contacts might need cleaning, same for pickup switch.
It getting worse suggests it's either a dirt problem, or it's outside the guitar - guitar lead or amp... or pedals. Try a different guitar lead. If possible, a different amp... and no pedals.

Last edited:

Argon66

Thanks folks.

Its definitely the guitar.
Changed leads, going straight in (not going through any pedals), and changed guitars.

My Tele in the middle position is super quiet.
The LP buzzes like a hornets nest.

Where all the wiring seems ok for the pots, im thinking the issue must be the bridge as mentioned...or on the pup side.

Usually resting my hand on the strings or bridge will eliminate noise.
Not now.
I have to put fingers on the pups to see a difference.

The unusable muddiness of the neck pup is another matter or maybe connected to the buzz too?
Oh, and even with the tone dimed, its unusable.

Big process of elimination huh?

somebodyelseuk

Thanks folks.

Its definitely the guitar.
Changed leads, going straight in (not going through any pedals), and changed guitars.

My Tele in the middle position is super quiet.
The LP buzzes like a hornets nest.

Where all the wiring seems ok for the pots, im thinking the issue must be the bridge as mentioned...or on the pup side.

Usually resting my hand on the strings or bridge will eliminate noise.
Not now.
I have to put fingers on the pups to see a difference.

The unusable muddiness of the neck pup is another matter or maybe connected to the buzz too?
Oh, and even with the tone dimed, its unusable.

Big process of elimination huh?

Yeah, that ground wire to the bridge seemss favourite, assuming the buzzing is all the time on all pickups. If the buzzing is only on the neck pickup, thats a different issue.
Do these guitars use a wire connecting the pot cases together, by the way? Or do they use a grounding plate under the pots?

thejaf

Don't know where you're at - sounds like you need to take it to a competent technician.

Don

It sounds like you might have two problems.

Do the pickups have 4 wires in the leads? If so, make sure they're all wired correctly and soldered well.

It also sounds like you have no ground to the bridge. It's pretty common for this to be left out or damaged when the electronics are modified. Set a DMM to beep for continuity and check between the strings or bridge and the back of a pot, pickup cover or other grounded item. It should beep. If not, repair the ground.

Argon66

Yup. It totally was the bridge. Not grounded.
Thanks everyone.

fyi. Now that it’s playable, I’m digging the 50s wiring. Different for sure.
I do like that the top end stays when you dial back the volume.

and for some weird reason, now that everything is grounded properly, the neck pup sounds cleaner.
I’m thinking I may still want to try something with a little more snap down the line though.

seth lovers, antiquity, Lollars, throback.
I think I have stock burstbuckers right now. The bridge is ok but still not loving the neck. Oops. I think they could be 57 classics which are known to have muddy neck pups.

Last edited: