The Fender Forum
LPF Facebook Page
LPF Instagram Page
NEW Merchandise!
Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Please Make a Donation to the Les Paul Forum to Keep it Going!

Gunk behind the plastic on my finish.

I have a 20-some year old Epiphone Les Paul. I'm in the process of changing its appearance a bit, including removing the plastic plate around the switch (the circle reading "Rhythm" and "Treble"). I removed it, and man, was it gross back there. Long, thin strings of goo stretched from the finish to the ring as I pulled it away. Now there's a bunch of rough stuff that seems to be sitting on top of the finiish. I rubbed it a bit with a soft cloth, but to no avail. I don't want to damage the finish, but I figured I'd better clean that up before putting a new ring on (or skipping a ring altogether, which I'm considering).

What is this stuff, and how do you suggest that I safely clean it? Thank you for the advice.

(BTW, I have pictures, but apparently lack permission to attach them.)

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Gunk behind the plastic on my finish.

Quote Originally Posted by papabear16 View Post
    I have a 20-some year old Epiphone Les Paul. I'm in the process of changing its appearance a bit, including removing the plastic plate around the switch (the circle reading "Rhythm" and "Treble"). I removed it, and man, was it gross back there. Long, thin strings of goo stretched from the finish to the ring as I pulled it away. Now there's a bunch of rough stuff that seems to be sitting on top of the finiish. I rubbed it a bit with a soft cloth, but to no avail. I don't want to damage the finish, but I figured I'd better clean that up before putting a new ring on (or skipping a ring altogether, which I'm considering).

What is this stuff, and how do you suggest that I safely clean it? Thank you for the advice.

(BTW, I have pictures, but apparently lack permission to attach them.)
    Epiphones use poly finish. That stuff is indestructable. The gunk is some kind of glue. Start with a cloth soaked and well wrung, of warm, soapy water.
    A rag with a dab of solvent will probably work, if soapy water doesn't.

The gunk could also be spilled drinks. I repaired a Fender Hotrod Deluxe that had had too many rum cokes spilled in it! Corrosive sticky gunk everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by somebodyelseuk View Post
    Epiphones use poly finish. That stuff is indestructable. The gunk is some kind of glue. Start with a cloth soaked and well wrung, of warm, soapy water.
    A rag with a dab of solvent will probably work, if soapy water doesn't.
    Terrific, I was hoping it was something indestructable! I'll scrub it down good.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    The gunk could also be spilled drinks. I repaired a Fender Hotrod Deluxe that had had too many rum cokes spilled in it! Corrosive sticky gunk everywhere!
    Ha! I can't even imagine some of what is found under guitar parts that were played live a bunch. This hasn't been, so I'm safe there.

Thanks to you both for the help!

Do NOT remove gunk. Gunk = mojo!!!

Full Disclosure: I built Valclone Amps

Quote Originally Posted by LeonC View Post
    Do NOT remove gunk. Gunk = mojo!!!

Well now I'm torn, because I'm trying to IMPROVE the mojo of this baby! (Especially since it isn't cool mojo, like dings acquired on stage or stains from long practice sessions.)

Les Paul Forum Member

What I would try to use is Dawn Power clean and a soft cotton cloth /towel . Dawn removes grease and all kinds of other crap and is one of the best cleaners around . Be gentle and try a little at a time and see how it goes . Best wishes .

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    What I would try to use is Dawn Power clean and a soft cotton cloth /towel . Dawn removes grease and all kinds of other crap and is one of the best cleaners around . Be gentle and try a little at a time and see how it goes . Best wishes .
    Excellent advice, thank you!

Be awful careful there.

I have some Dawn cleaning product ( can't think of the name off hand) in the garage which is the most effective PAINT REMOVER I have ever found.

Reports are it will even remove the ceramic finish on a stove if left there.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Be awful careful there.

I have some Dawn cleaning product ( can't think of the name off hand) in the garage which is the most effective PAINT REMOVER I have ever found.

Reports are it will even remove the ceramic finish on a stove if left there.
    Yikes! Duly noted.

Try lighter fluid on a cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Keefoman View Post
    Try lighter fluid on a cloth.
    Good, I like having other options. Thank you!