• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Magnets

Rayvyn

I have a bridge PAF that is too hot, mostly in the high side. I am a bit surprised to find its running an A4. I don't want to run an A3 if I don't have to but I'm confused as to what might draw back some of the highs, a long A2, A5 oriented or A5 unoriented? Any suggestions? Any suggestions on other, simpler fixes? I'm tempted to try some different caps to on the bridge side in the hopes they can help but I'm pretty doubtful.

somebodyelseuk

I have a bridge PAF that is too hot, mostly in the high side. I am a bit surprised to find its running an A4. I don't want to run an A3 if I don't have to but I'm confused as to what might draw back some of the highs, a long A2, A5 oriented or A5 unoriented? Any suggestions? Any suggestions on other, simpler fixes? I'm tempted to try some different caps to on the bridge side in the hopes they can help but I'm pretty doubtful.
Turn the treble down on the amp or the tone on that pickup.
In terms of magnet, A2. If it's got too much high end, A5s will make it worse, in my experience.
Alternatively, my first step would be to get a screwdriver out and try adjusting the pickup heights.

mrbeasty

Silly question: Did you try lowering the pickup, at least the treble strings side? Or even lowering the Pole Screws under the treble strings?

Last edited:

El Gringo

I would switch the magnet to an A5 magnet which will help bring out more of the mid range flavor . Seriously ! Also mrbeasty suggestion will work as well . I am partial to the A5 flavor as I detest all that high upper end brightness .