• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Tenon difference between '59 and '60

NINFNM

Min. 20:

Bonamassa tells about the 60's neck tenon being shorter than the 59's. Never heard about that.
Somebody have a picture to illustrate that?

sws1

0 7600
0_7600-61-me.jpg

9 08929
9_0829-32-me.JPG

Not sure how consistent this is. There seems to be long tenons in the late 60 area. But not sure I've seen short tenons in the 59 area, but i certainly haven't seen them all.

NINFNM

Thanks!

I doubt that can make any difference in the sound at all. What he hears may be due to the difference in the neck thickness

somebodyelseuk

Thanks!

I doubt that can make any difference in the sound at all. What he hears may be due to the difference in the neck thickness
... and being made from different trees, having different pickups, different pots...
There are tons of threads where people argue the toss for months about how no two PAFs sound the same, no two pieces of wood sound the same etc, etc, etc
They sound different because they aren't identical in any respect.

mrbeasty

Thanks!

I think it could make a difference in something like an SG where the contact surface between neck and body is already limited, but in a Les Paul, we are fighting over an eighth of an inch little wood tongue.

El Gringo

I think it could make a difference in something like an SG where the contact surface between neck and body is already limited, but in a Les Paul, we are fighting over an eighth of an inch little wood tongue.

I kindly disagree where I think there is a significance in the resonance of the Les Paul . The tenon ties the neck wood to the body wood and the difference is noticeable to me as far as the resonance goes . The vibration in your left hand and the way the guitar resonates is very noticeable . I also should clarify my post to say that I believe there is a difference between a long tenon versus a short tenon found on later years Gibson's .

brandtkronholm

+1 Maybe in the SG...maybe.

Then again, with a drummer, Hammond, bass, etc., that 1/8th inch won't be missed.

I kindly disagree where I think there is a significance in the resonance of the Les Paul . The tenon ties the neck wood to the body wood and the difference is noticeable to me as far as the resonance goes . The vibration in your left hand and the way the guitar resonates is very noticeable . I also should clarify my post to say that I believe there is a difference between a long tenon versus a short tenon found on later years Gibson's .

It doesn't seem that change to the tenon was a "random thing" either. I don't believe the tenon, or slimmed neck was done as a "cost savings" either. You'd have to conclude that someone at Gibson found this to improve on sound/tone.

Last edited:

El Gringo

It doesn't seem that change to the tenon was a "random thing" either. I don't believe the tenon, or slimmed neck was done as a "cost savings" either. You'd have to conclude that someone at Gibson found this to improve on sound/tone.

This occurred after the sale from CMI to Norlin and I believe I remember something about increasing production to have Les Paul's hitting the shops faster as Les Paul sales started to take off like a Saturn rocket and the bean counters at Norlin decided that less hand shaping would save time and churn them out faster . Norlin was raking it in faster than you could shake a stick at , but maybe Fender was still out selling Gibson as everybody wanted a Stratocaster because of Jimi .

somebodyelseuk

This occurred after the sale from CMI to Norlin and I believe I remember something about increasing production to have Les Paul's hitting the shops faster as Les Paul sales started to take off like a Saturn rocket and the bean counters at Norlin decided that less hand shaping would save time and churn them out faster . Norlin was raking it in faster than you could shake a stick at , but maybe Fender was still out selling Gibson as everybody wanted a Stratocaster because of Jimi .
The shorter tenon is in a 60, isn't it?
None of that applies.