• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

les paul build

mel howard

I am using a 498T and a 490R

Everything seems to be correctly wired but both play in the center switch position and the neck position is fine but the bridge position is dead.

any thoughts? the white and green wires from each humbucker are soldered and taped together separately.

El Gringo

I am using a 498T and a 490R

Everything seems to be correctly wired but both play in the center switch position and the neck position is fine but the bridge position is dead.

any thoughts? the white and green wires from each humbucker are soldered and taped together separately.

When in the middle position both volumes have to have around 3-5 on the volume knob on each pickup to work and to hear sound coming out of your amp. A common mistake that some make is to have the pickup selector in the middle position and to have 10 on the one pickup volume knob/control and zero on the other pickup which will not work .

mel howard

When in the middle position both volumes have to have around 3-5 on the volume knob on each pickup to work and to hear sound coming out of your amp. A common mistake that some make is to have the pickup selector in the middle position and to have 10 on the one pickup volume knob/control and zero on the other pickup which will not work .

I was wrong that both played in the center position on the switch, sorry about that. when I switch to the 498 it sounds like the power drains away real fast. checking to see if there is an arc somewhere. a test meeter sais both humbuckers work fine and all the wires from the switch test out as well. putting back together and trying again.

Thank you for your help El Gringo

somebodyelseuk

I was wrong that both played in the center position on the switch, sorry about that. when I switch to the 498 it sounds like the power drains away real fast. checking to see if there is an arc somewhere. a test meeter sais both humbuckers work fine and all the wires from the switch test out as well. putting back together and trying again.

Thank you for your help El Gringo
I had same symptoms after fitting new pots and pickups to a guitar with the cavity painted with conductive paint. In my case, I either didn't have a pot in quite square or the capacitor wire was touching the paint... After a bit of jiggling and wire bending, ll was good. Don't know for sure what caused it, but thought it worth mentioning. Cavity shielding is a wonderful thing... until something shorts on it and you can't see it clearly.
I think I may have reflowed the solder on the tags grounded to pot casings, as well.
It's a characteristic of how capacitors work in other circuits - holding charge and then discharging it.... I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure the issue will be centred around the capacitors.

Last edited: