• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My CC#1 VOS Deluxe Historic Makeovers Greeny Conversion (Lots of Pics)

PeteNJ75

So, I’ve been wanting a CC#1 Green/Moore replica for a long time, but I finally came to the realization I was never going to be able to afford the Tom Murphy aged version. But earlier this year I picked up a CC#1 VOS, and since I had been toying with the idea of having Historic Makeovers do their thing on one of my Les Pauls, I realized I could just have THEM age my VOS model - frankly I think their aging work is better than Murphy's - and as a bonus, it would have a Brazilian rosewood fretboard, which the Gibson aged CC#1 doesn’t have. So I said what the hell, if I'm gonna do it, this is the guitar to do it with. And now this replica - at least from a features perspective, seems closer to the real thing than anything else I've personally seen out there. Keep in mind this is still a work in progress - it is not finished yet, but it's getting close!

I also spared no expense on the parts, and I bought a set of custom, theme-aged plastics and hardware to match the real deal from Stephen at Vintage Haven, who has had up-close-and-personal experience with Greeny (and has uncirculated detailed photos), and I have to say... his work is truly outstanding. He captured every detail of wear almost perfectly and only used the highest quality parts, including real mid-60s vintage knobs and a pure nickel tailpiece - capturing that distinctive dark wear mark on it. When I saw everything I was blown away.

Better yet, the pickups and wiring harness were also custom-wound AND aged to match Greeny by James at ReWind Electronics. He wound a set of Greeny replica pickups just for this project using vintage 50s NOS wire he had available - his stock pickups don't use NOS wire. I'm really excited about them. And he really went out of his way to try to capture the wear patterns on the covers. Really impressive aging work and he is the only pickup maker I could find who would "theme-age" a set to match a famous burst. He deserves HUGE points for that. I haven’t heard them yet as I won’t have the guitar for another couple of weeks, but before he shipped them he said they sound amazing. I highly recommend everyone go check ReWind out because James was great to work with, and he really takes his PAFs seriously.

And of course a special shout out to Kim at HM, who has been working with me closely every step of the way, and was able to get me a beautiful, solid black Brazilian board (which was important to me), and put up with my anal-retentive requests to capture the aging and wear of Greeny as accurately as possible. I wanted this thing to look old and beat up like the original, but without getting too hung up on every tiny detail. We focused on the most distinctive wear and it looks pretty damn close!

I figured if I was going to do this, it should be with a real CC#1 VOS, and I wouldn’t have gone through the trouble and expense of this project if this thing didn’t sound and play amazing to begin with. It was a KILLER guitar beforehand, so I expect this is going to take it to the next level.

So without further ado, here are some before and after pics, and links to more photos. It still needs a nut installed and frets leveled, and the back still needs some more fading, but it’s getting there. What do you guys think?

Before:
aJdGV6Jl.jpg

After:
e4S8meyl.jpg

zSiJPRhl.jpg

C4FX1gnl.jpg

uIjW5CMl.jpg

hS2r8WVl.jpg

SEv2Kt7l.jpg

1fUAv3Jl.jpg

ULOeibAl.jpg

LRZx5oKl.jpg

Obviously I'm restricted to only 10 pics on here, but you can see ALL the HM pics here: https://historicmakeovers.smugmug.com/Work-In-Process/n-dJ8g5/Bohan-CC01V176/

[P.S.: I don't have time to rewrite all this, so it's pretty much the same thing I posted in the MLP forum]

Last edited:

corpse

You are pretty stoked about this and what is astounding is Kim is likely more stoked. That is a great replica- pics like this must include a clip particularly of the OOP tone. Great project!

rockabilly69

You are pretty stoked about this and what is astounding is Kim is likely more stoked. That is a great replica- pics like this must include a clip particularly of the OOP tone. Great project!
Yep clip should be mandatory!!! :)

duaneflowers

Looks killer!! I know its gonna sound amazing too... James wound a Shanks set with his vintage wire for my CC#7 and it sounds stellar!!! Enjoy!!!! :salude