• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Crackling volume pots new guitar question

barth1234

Hi all,

I've just bought a 60th anniversary les paul '59.

The volume pots make some noise but only in a certain situaties:

- pickup is set in the middle so both pickups are active
- one pickup is fully open (volume knob)
- when you sweep the other volume knob between volume 0 and 2
- you play music
Is it normal? Ik looks like it has something to do between silent (no sound) and turning the volume up of one pickup and the other one that is allready open on 100%.

I've never had a les paul before. Want to check if this is normal, because it's quite an expensive guitar.

Pots we're cleaned at the store and didn't improve things.

Hope you can help. Thnx!

El Gringo

Hi all,

I've just bought a 60th anniversary les paul '59.

The volume pots make some noise but only in a certain situaties:

- pickup is set in the middle so both pickups are active
- one pickup is fully open (volume knob)
- when you sweep the other volume knob between volume 0 and 2
- you play music
Is it normal? Ik looks like it has something to do between silent (no sound) and turning the volume up of one pickup and the other one that is allready open on 100%.

I've never had a les paul before. Want to check if this is normal, because it's quite an expensive guitar.

Pots we're cleaned at the store and didn't improve things.

Hope you can help. Thnx!

Hello, try give it more volume like around 4-5 . This I think is normal . Let us know ok .

somebodyelseuk

It's one of those things I've never noticed, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was normal.
On both pickups, with one down at zero, the guitar is essentially off. In your scenario, when you turn the knob from zero, the guitar goes from nothing to 100% on one pickup instantly.
If they don't crackle on the individual pickups, ie, neck only and bridge only, and when moving like El Gringo says, in the audible range, alls well.

barth1234

It's one of those things I've never noticed, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was normal.
On both pickups, with one down at zero, the guitar is essentially off. In your scenario, when you turn the knob from zero, the guitar goes from nothing to 100% on one pickup instantly.
If they don't crackle on the individual pickups, ie, neck only and bridge only, and when moving like El Gringo says, in the audible range, alls well.

Looks quite logical. I’m not saying it’s a defect. it would be great if anyone could confirm this on their guitar(s).

kind regards

thin sissy

I just checked my two "2 pickup:ed" Les Pauls. The 55 did not have what you describe, but the 2007 R8 did. My guess would be some heat damage from the soldering to the back of the pots. It doesn't bother me, but it's there.

You could try touching the solder joints with a wooden stick with the guitar plugged into an amp and volume up. That could give you an indication if you have bad solder joints. If the pots are damaged from the heat, I don't know if it's fixable. But it might not be a problem for you either :) ?

thin sissy

IMHO, a repair is only needed if it bothers you, since judging by your video, the sweep of the pots seem good.

Someone else may have have another theory on the reason for the crackling. Sweet looking guitar BTW!

barth1234

The shop is willing to replace the pots.

Does this affect the value of the guitar and what kind of pots are on these guitars so it stays original?

somebodyelseuk

The shop is willing to replace the pots.

Does this affect the value of the guitar and what kind of pots are on these guitars so it stays original?
If it doesn't crackle when selecting one pickup and sweeping the pots, replacing the pots won't fix it.
Don't go randomly replacing parts until you've established what's at fault.
In terms of value and originality. It won't affect value. It's a reissue. It's never going to be a rare collectable and originality is gone the day you take a soldering iron to it.
If it were me, I'd use the opportunity to have better pots fitted, such as VIPots.

Last edited:

somebodyelseuk

So you think it is something else? Any idea what?
Is it there when you're touchingthe bridge or strings? How close is the guitar to the amp? Have you tried a different amp? Is there a TV ot computer on near the guitar or amp?
If it were a pot, it would be a problem on that pot all the time. It being both volumes, but only when both pickups suggests a wiring issue, possibly. I'd be checking all the grounding points for a dry solder joint.
That said, I'd want to reproduce the problem on a different amp in a different building, before I got my soldering iron out.

El Gringo

https://youtu.be/d-oPL7N5iTA

here’s a video with the issue.

is it normal or is a repair needed?

That is exactly how it is supposed to work . In the middle position you are blending/combining two pickups with separate volume controls . As I said earlier you have to have a little bit of volume maybe around 3-4 on one of the 2 pickups and the same amount and up on the other ( 2nd pickup ) . A good thing to do is to play around with the guitar and get a feel for the nuance and sound of your Les Paul . There is no problem there and works as supposed to based on your demo video .

El Gringo

Also I would not go removing the pots and caps on the guitar as they are good quality and if you do you will be trading apples for oranges and I believe you will not realize enough of a difference or improvement to satisfy your self with . I am not trying to be negative or a downer bummer , but there is nothing wrong with your guitar and works exactly like all of my Les Paul's do . Seriously ! Take some time and learn play and learn your guitars personality . I have the same 60th anniversary R9 and works the same exact way . Best wishes and please enjoy your guitar as it is a beauty !