• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Another new member NGD post

wjlim22

Picked up a 2008 Gibson LP Traditional today. For a 2008, this one is in excellent shape. I think it is a vintage sunburst. Correct me if I'm wrong. I have never played a 2008 LP before today. All the ones I've tried were 2019 or newer. The quality looks to be very good. Looking forward to fine tuning this thing up when I get home from work.

EDIT: I discovered this one is a desert burst and it has traditional weight relief.

119138498_309158426843534_5845609010105381_n.jpg

Last edited:

Midnight Blues

Nice!

wave.gif
wjlim, :welcome to the LPF, congrats, HNGD
jam.gif
and play her in good health!

wjlim22

Well I've had a chance to play her at home and I'm very happy with the purchase. I think the obvious tangibles compared to my Epiphone LPs are the pickups and the 50s neck. The intangibles are the feel of the guitar in my hands. It just feels good! The tones and sound are magical. I've never used the tone knobs so much in any guitar. As you can probably tell, I'm fairly new to Gibson. I've tried a lot of them and this one seems to be the one for me.

wjlim22

It is interesting to learn about the 2008 Gibson LP Traditional. The Gibson rep happened to be at the GC when I was trying out this guitar. He looked at the serial number and he said this guitar is the old version of what they call the Standard 50s today, of course with the 57s instead of burstbuckers and a slightly slimmer neck (among a lot of other differences I'm sure). All of the Gibson experts here probably know all of this, but it is very interesting to learn that the late model 2008 Traditionals were a response to the Standards from earlier 2008 not selling well. They took it back to a more original take on the LP with this particular model. It is actually categorized in the Standard series and it's full label is a Gibson Les Paul Standard Traditional or something like that. All somewhat confusing and at the same time fascinating. I feel lucky to find a well preserved instrument which has not been modified at all. The Gibson rep said it looks like it was never played. The guitar center sales guy said the guy who gave it to GC told him it was a family heirloom. I would like to keep it in original condition also except I'm gonna play it ... a lot.

wjlim22

Thanks for the link. Very nice of someone to put that site together. It is helpful because the Gibson Legacy site only goes 5 years back. So basically, this 2008 to 2012 Traditional model is totally different and no longer produced. It was a lower priced and more conservative approach to the Les Paul than the Standard of that period. Nice to know. I'm enjoying the quality and uniqueness. It's different than anything else I have and it is a great addition. Just now doing some fine tuning to bring out all of it's potential.

wjlim22

Thanks for the link. Very nice of someone to put that site together. It is helpful because the Gibson Legacy site only goes 5 years back. So basically, this 2008 to 2012 Traditional model is totally different and no longer produced. It was a lower priced and more conservative approach to the Les Paul than the Standard of that period. Nice to know. I'm enjoying the quality and uniqueness. It's different than anything else I have and it is a great addition. Just now doing some fine tuning to bring out all of it's potential.

I've done a full set up of everything (new strings, conditioned fret board, lower action, raised tail piece a bit, etc) and the result is this: :biggrin:

What do I do with all my Epiphone LPs that won't be played much anymore!? I believe that the pickups on the 2008 Traditional are 57 classic and 57 classic plus. I've read some posts that criticize the Traditional and how much more superior the Burstbuckers are, but these have great output and range compared to what I've been using. I feel like this is my first real guitar! I'm preaching to the choir in this forum but I'm having a very eye opening experience here and I wanted to share. Does everyone go through this with their first Gibson LP?