• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul classic 1990 pickups

StevenShelby

Top 5 best multitools for EDC One answer to several problems

A flat tire, a stray thread or a stubborn crown cap are examples of common everyday issues. You cannot predict when these unexpected incidents may happen, but you can always prepare for them. But isn’t a tool box just too heavy and inconvenient to be an everyday carry? Simple! The answer to all your concerns is a decent multitool.

See Also:
The Top Best Product TheKingLive.com

In order to help you narrow down your choices, we have come up with a list of the best multitool for EDC (Every Day Carry).

1- Leatherman Wave Multitool

waRXX5g.jpg

Leatherman is among the market leaders in the multitool industry thanks to its affordable price and high-quality products. One of the most popular items and international best-sellers of this brand is Leatherman Wave multitool.

The sturdy and portable design is 4 inches in length when closed, and it weighs less than 9 ounces. With its compact design, the Leatherman Wave is one of the best Leathermans for EDC. Renowned for its durability and multi-functions, this product can serve numerous purposes. The Leatherman Wave has a stainless-steel body and handle, coupled with 17 features. Users can take advantage of a variety of tool pliers, such as grasping small objects with the needle-nose pliers or holding and grasping things with regular pliers. Its replaceable wire cutters allow you to cut from regular gauge wire or hard wire to larger gauge wire. Besides, you can strip different types of wire with the built-in wire stripper. The item fits several more functionalities thanks to its serrated knives blade, saw with open-tooth, can and bottle opener and flathead screwdriver.

2- Leatherman Skeletool

bbDqVoX.jpg

Another model that deserves a spot in the list of best Leatherman multitool for EDC is the Skeletool.

Although Leatherman introduces this product line as full sized tools, a large number of users still can easily fit it in their pocket. The distinct features of this product are its tool pliers and the knife. From a lot of users’ experience, the pliers of the Leatherman Skeletool are more rugged and sturdier than other multitools. The well-crafted blade is made of 420 high carbon stainless steel, and the blade only is 2.5 inches in length. Users never have to worry about a loose blade thanks to high-quality locking mechanism. The blade can be easily operated by hand with smooth movements. In addition, there are some other tools including an exchangeable bit driver, bottle opener-carabiner and removable pocket clip.

What more to expect about this product? Similar to other products from Leatherman, this design comes with a warranty up to 25 years!

Related Article:
isUCTij.gif
https://thekinglive.com/looking-for-the-best-multitool-find-your-one-in-a-thousand.html

3- Victorinox Swisschamp

giRA9Nm.jpg

Due to its long-established history, Victorinox can be seen as the original creator of multitools. After years of being in the market, the brand still maintains its leading position with their signature multitasking Swiss army knife.

Victorinox Swisschamp is a versatile tool in the form of a pocket knife. Whether you use this product for simple indoors repairs or into-the-wilderness activities, this product can surely provide you with enough EDC tools for survival. This versatile pocket knife is tiny but mighty. Their blades have received numerous compliments on their durability, precision and sharpness. In terms of portability, Swisschamp might not top the list of the lightest pocket knives. However, with all 33 packed tools listed below, you definitely should take this product into consideration.

4- Victorinox - Spirit X

Qbk3QbJ.jpg

Multitools are extremely useful items that help you adapt to numerous unexpected situations. For this reason, these devices are commonly used while fishing. If you are a fan of fishing and looking for the best multitool for EDC and fishing, you may want to consider getting a Victorinox - Spirit X.

This product comes with a well-designed leather pocket. It is constructed of 100% metal, and has a solid and sturdy appearance. Similar to other Victorinox products, Spirit X is famous for its versatility thanks to a long list of features. Not only does this item offer common tools such as a precise and durable blade, screwdriver or pliers wire cutter but it also comes with a scraper, reamer, chisel and multiple saws. Although there are 24 features listed for this multitool, you should not worry about its portability. The Spirit X is very easy to use, surprisingly light and not bulky at all, making it suitable for everyday carry.

Another notable aspect of all products from Victorinox is that they all come with a lifetime warranty. Nothing feels better than investing in a product knowing that it is not only of high quality but your purchase is also backed up by the company in case you need a replacement. It is indeed a great deal for any shoppers!

5- Gerber Shard

dUwoTL5.jpg

If portability is your major concern when you go shopping for a multitool, then we would love to recommend Gerber Shard. Don’t let its size fool you since Gerber Shard has found its way into several best keychain multitool for EDC lists.

Similar to the previously mentioned Victorinox Swisschamp, the Shard is a tiny but mighty EDC tool. With a unique shape, it can be attached to your keychain, and can serve as the perfect companion if you want something basic and simple. This item offers seven functions, including a pry bar, small flat driver, medium flat driver, cross driver, lanyard hole, wire stripper, and bottle opener. With all of these features, it can help you tackle a multitude of quick fixes. The Shard is made of 100% stainless steel, and it’s also coated with titanium, which makes it a tough but durable device for everyday use. It measures only 2.75 inches, so it is incredibly light to carry!

In comparison with other multitools on this list, Gerber Shard might not be the most versatile item or the most impressive tool, but it is still a worthwhile investment due to its sturdiness and usefulness. If you are a minimalist, and you happen to show interest in this miniaturized multitool, don’t hesitate to check it out!

Selected For You: Best multitools in the world - Top rated multi tool

Wrapping it up!

So, there is a wide range of options for your EDC tool in the market. Hence, make sure that you set expectations for your tool. Depending on your purposes, make a list of the top features that you would like to have in your multitool. Also, since you are going to carry this item around all day, every day, don’t forget to check its weight and shape so that it can be absolutely portable for you, and won’t cause inconvenience.

Last edited:

c_wester

You can take out the extra magnets and have a pleasant clean tone.
Also scrape the pots to around 600k.

If that doesn't work change the wood.

Señor Verde

Wizz pickups are great. Your Classic probably has 300K pots for volume and tone. I'd swap them for 500-550K pots and some good paper in oil caps before changing the pickups.

Scozz

I'm pretty sure the pickups in your Classic are 496r/500t, one of Gibsons' hottest pickups, (Ceramic magnets).

Not the best choice for Blues imo.

mrbeasty

I have a 1996 Classic. It came with a 500T in the bridge which is one of the least “classic” pick-up that could go in there. A very hot ceramic magnet pickup. The 496R in the neck is pretty nice once on a ~500K pot. All the pots are 300K long shaft and sound very dark and dull sounding IMHO. I also replaced all the hardware on mine and that was a large improvement. The metal parts are very heavy and dead sounding.

I would recommend changing the pots to 550K ones and wire the guitar with the ‘50s wiring schema. Any PAF bridge pick-up will be an improvement (Pearly Gates, etc.). Next I would replace the stop tail piece, then the ABR-1.
With PAFs, I found that you get what you pay for. If you want something nicer than the standard fare but without spending a fortune, I would recommend the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop (individual pickups or sets); otherwise the usual Boutique guys are great.

My $0.02!

El Gringo

I have a 1996 Classic. It came with a 500T in the bridge which is one of the least “classic” pick-up that could go in there. A very hot ceramic magnet pickup. The 496R in the neck is pretty nice once on a ~500K pot. All the pots are 300K long shaft and sound very dark and dull sounding IMHO. I also replaced all the hardware on mine and that was a large improvement. The metal parts are very heavy and dead sounding.

I would recommend changing the pots to 550K ones and wire the guitar with the ‘50s wiring schema. Any PAF bridge pick-up will be an improvement (Pearly Gates, etc.). Next I would replace the stop tail piece, then the ABR-1.
With PAFs, I found that you get what you pay for. If you want something nicer than the standard fare but without spending a fortune, I would recommend the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop (individual pickups or sets); otherwise the usual Boutique guys are great.

My $0.02!

+ 1 , and if you like throw some Throbak MXV-SLE-101 Plus pickups

Keefoman

I had a 2001 Classic years ago where I put in CTS 500k pots, Jensen PIO caps, 50s wiring and Lollar Imperial pickups in place of original pots, wiring and hot ceramic pups. The Classic suddenly sounded like my perception of what an LP should sound like.

Desertdawg

I've had great clear tone results with SD Seth Lover's in a couple of LPs. Just watch out for pick noise if you strike the casing as they're not potted.

Good suggestions here too about pots and caps. Plenty of kits around for that mod too.