The Fender Forum
LPF Facebook Page
LPF Instagram Page
NEW Merchandise!
Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Please Make a Donation to the Les Paul Forum to Keep it Going!

Mods Hardtail Strat with Rosewood Fingerboard

What year did Fender manufacture the first hardtail Strat with rosewood board?

I have a dream....

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Hardtail Strat with Rosewood Fingerboard

Quote Originally Posted by youngneil1 View Post

I have a dream....
    Probably, 59....
    There will have been some made, just not many. For some reason, there seemed to be quite a few made in the late 70s. I have a maple board 79, I knew a guy who had the same with rosewood, and I've seen plenty of 79s around with hardtails.

Les Paul Forum Member

I have an '82 Sienna Sunburst Strat hardtail with a rosewood board. The serial number is S9, but the neck date is 1982. Read that they way over bought decals and took awhile to use them up.

Quote Originally Posted by youngneil1 View Post

I have a dream....
    Mid 59. They started rosewood boards with a slab of brazilian rosewood that summer. You'll come across hard tail's here and there from 59. Hard tailed Strats are my absolute favorite guitar. Especially hard tail's from the pre cbs era.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by audiosway View Post
    Mid 59. They started rosewood boards with a slab of brazilian rosewood that summer. You'll come across hard tail's here and there from 59. Hard tailed Strats are my absolute favorite guitar. Especially hard tail's from the pre cbs era.
    Yup, I owned and played an original 1959 hardtail Strat for several decades. Sunburst finish. Serial number 38953, body date 8/59. No neck date. Very light weight, thick Brazilian slab board, birdseye maple back of the neck. A wonderful instrument! I currently have an SVL ‘61 Reserve hardtail Strat. Slab board, Aged Olympic White finish. It actually plays better than my old ‘59 hardtail and sounds pretty darn good too!

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    Yup, I owned and played an original 1959 hardtail Strat for several decades. Sunburst finish. Serial number 38953, body date 8/59. No neck date. Very light weight, thick Brazilian slab board, birdseye maple back of the neck. A wonderful instrument! I currently have an SVL ‘61 Reserve hardtail Strat. Slab board, Aged Olympic White finish. It actually plays better than my old ‘59 hardtail and sounds pretty darn good too!
    Hi RAB,
    Please post pictures if you can!

I currently have an SVL ‘61 Reserve hardtail Strat. Slab board, Aged Olympic White finish. It actually plays better than my old ‘59 hardtail and sounds pretty darn good too!
    whip it out

Les Paul Forum Member Guitar Whiskey's Avatar

This example from 1959 must be fairly early as it has the transitional mint guard, but still with 8 screws. The 11 screw version showed up by mid 1959.

Love the burst!

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

My first real strat was a hardtail with rosewood lam board. 1977.

Ash body. Black guard.

You just can't beat those old slab board strats. Amazing stuff. I had an all original 62 slab board. Wasn't a hard tail though. Once I went with a hard tail I can't play anything else.