• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Tone King Imperial MK2

Jack14

First post...
I know there is a lot of threads on the TKIMK2. I want to start a new thread to see:

After owning your amp for a while do you still enjoy playing it?
Is this amp a life time/Keeper amp for you?
Do you gig with your amp? How’s that going?
Did you sell your amp? If so why?

I have had my amp for about a month now and am still getting to know it. Your feedback will be very helpful to me.

Last edited:

MikeSlub

Administrator
Jack, I’ve had one for several years. It is a cool amp. I have gigged with it in the past. I own a lot of amps so it gets in the rotation but isn’t necessarily my “go to” amp above others.

New Teaboy

It's a keeper. Beautiful amp. Whether you're playing a LP; 335 ( dream team) or strat it just sounds great. I gig mine regularly and it's plenty loud with enough headroom in even pretty big club rooms. My friends SkyKing has heaps more headroom never gets above 3 on the volume. We both attenuate our amps even though our drummer likes hitting things

Red Baron

I've owned an Imperial MkII head/cab for a couple of months now and I'm definitely still in the honeymoon phase, and I can't see myself ever wanting to part with it.

I was a die-hard Carr and Magnatone fan for the past 15 years and I've owned quite a few of them, but this Imperial is on a whole other level. There are many things that I love about it, both channels, the attenuator, it's pristine clean and overdriven sounds, and how it preserves the voice of any guitar that I plug into it. It just an incredibly versatile amp and I can't find a single negative, it's an inspiration to play... and the sound with a Browne Protien overdrive is just out of this world, it blows me away every time I play it!

Imperial.jpg

Red Baron

The Browne Protein is a dual overdrive, one side is a tweaked Bluesbreaker and the other is a tweaked Nobles ODR-1 and they work brilliantly together.

The Bluesbreaker is more upper mids and the Nobles is really strong in the lower mids, it’s a rare overdrive that doesn’t strip the lower mids from your amp.

corpse

So cool when you find an amp that ticks all the boxes- almost impossible to do it without some in-line pedal. Very cool. I always likes Greg Koch's LP demos on the Wildwood site with the combo Imperial.

New Teaboy

The Browne Protein is a dual overdrive, one side is a tweaked Bluesbreaker and the other is a weaked Nobles ODR-1 and they work brilliantly together.

The Bluesbreaker is more upper mids and the Nobles is really strong in the lower mids, it’s a rare overdrive that doesn’t strip the lower mids from your amp.
Interesting (I'm using a Strymon Sunset and a Zendrive , but use them with the 'Rythm' channel. ) Are you using the OD with the Lead or Rythm channel? ie using the Lead channel as an OD voice?

Red Baron

I use the Protein with both channels, it sounds great with either, but I also like the natural amp overdrive of both channels... it's a versatile rig.

New Teaboy

I hired ac rehearsal studio and messed with the Z.drive on both channels last night... thick sound.... How do you wipe the smile of your face?