• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD + questions about lifton case that came with the guitar

barth1234

Hello all,

I also posted this on the mylespaulforum to find the best answers. I hope you guys can help.

I'm a proud owner (since yesterday) of a les paul 60th anniversary '59. Great guitar, great sound an playability. Fit and finish could be better, but I guess that's part of the re-issue / historic thing.

It's my first electric (i'm mostly an acoustic guitar player) and I am not planning on gigging electric any time soon.

I read some topics about the lifton cases (brown with pink). That they are historic items, but in that way not the best protection for your guitar.

My question to you guys:
What did you do to improve the padding of the lifton case?

- Socks under the neck for the 2nd neck support;
- Something under the upper part of the body?;
- Ho do you protect the bottom where the endpin is (they didn't give me the grey foam part)

Thank you all!

somebodyelseuk

Hello all,

I also posted this on the mylespaulforum to find the best answers. I hope you guys can help.

I'm a proud owner (since yesterday) of a les paul 60th anniversary '59. Great guitar, great sound an playability. Fit and finish could be better, but I guess that's part of the re-issue / historic thing.

It's my first electric (i'm mostly an acoustic guitar player) and I am not planning on gigging electric any time soon.

I read some topics about the lifton cases (brown with pink). That they are historic items, but in that way not the best protection for your guitar.

My question to you guys:
What did you do to improve the padding of the lifton case?

- Socks under the neck for the 2nd neck support;
- Something under the upper part of the body?;
- Ho do you protect the bottom where the endpin is (they didn't give me the grey foam part)

Thank you all!
Mine stays at home, so the case is adequate.
If I were gigging it, I'd get a Hiscox case for it.

Tommy Tourbus

The main thing I was worried about with that case was when the case is in the upright position, the guitar is standing with all it's weight on the strap button. I cut the bottom off a sock and rolled it into a donut shape and used that at the butt end of the case around the strap button of the guitar, to cushion the guitar so the weight of the guitar is resting on the sock donut.

MacFangus

My '16 M2M and '18 Wildwood Historic R7's have a grey colored foam spacer at the bottom of the case. The '18 Wildwood has a pad for the bottom, one for the back of the headstock and one for the face of the headstock. The M2M case may also have a pad for the rear of the headstock, but not the face. I'll need to take another look at the case.

squeeze

The main thing I was worried about with that case was when the case is in the upright position, the guitar is standing with all it's weight on the strap button. I cut the bottom off a sock and rolled it into a donut shape and used that at the butt end of the case around the strap button of the guitar, to cushion the guitar so the weight of the guitar is resting on the sock donut.

⬆️ This ⬆️ But I use 2 folded Gibson polishing cloths (one on each side of the strap button). Works great!

El Gringo

Nice plush soft cotton towels to help protect the headstock and the end pin area as well is what I would do if I had to use that case . Weird cases as they are too large in the headstock area and they try to make up for the flaw with the foam padding .

axeman565758

the newer cases are much more sturdy than previous versions. Ive always gig'd my Historics and used the case(s) they came in. I'm careful....so I have no worries.
If someone has to worry about damage to their guitar from case misuse, then perhaps the case isn't the root of the problem.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I warn to never put anything behind the headstock. That case has the headstock touching the bottom of the case. You need to raise the neck and keep the headstock off the bottom of the case. Don't stand the case up where it can fall over. Front falls are the worst.

Tommy Tourbus

My '16 M2M and '18 Wildwood Historic R7's have a grey colored foam spacer at the bottom of the case. The '18 Wildwood has a pad for the bottom, one for the back of the headstock and one for the face of the headstock. The M2M case may also have a pad for the rear of the headstock, but not the face. I'll need to take another look at the case.

be careful with that stuff. Not sure if that foam rubber stuff will react poorly with the guitar's finish as it ages and breaks down, but chances are good it will. I threw mine out