• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Evolution of the Alnico Custom

Sams

Hi -

I've come across a les paul custom that is definitely 50's, but the serial number is gone. Is there a good source for year by year info on these alnico black beauties? Only variable I see on this specific one is the later style knobs (not speed knobs). Did the caps change along the way? Don't know a whole lot about dating these - any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks

VamboRool

I believe the date code on the pots will be located on the side and not on the back of the pot. Get a small inspection mirror to view.

S. Weiger

Hi -

I've come across a les paul custom that is definitely 50's, but the serial number is gone. Is there a good source for year by year info on these alnico black beauties? Only variable I see on this specific one is the later style knobs (not speed knobs). Did the caps change along the way? Don't know a whole lot about dating these - any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks

Hi & welcome :salude

Usually it's a red flag when ser.no is missing, particularly on black beauties.
While it can disappear over time if the instrument was handled carelessly (I know of 2 such 50's Gibsons),
the usual reason is either (1) It was stolen, or (2) Black paint on back of headstock to hide a repair.

As always, my advice is free and worth every penny :)

Last edited:

poor man's burst

Most of '54 Les Paul Custom don't have serial number. I don't remember having seen one with. Earlier models have a shorter headstock.

irishbog

Hi & welcome :salude

Usually it's a red flag when ser.no is missing, particularly on black beauties.
While it can disappear over time if the instrument was handled carelessly (I know of 2 such 50's Gibsons),
the usual reason is either (1) It was stolen, or (2) Black paint on back of headstock to hide a repair.

As always, my advice is free and worth every penny :)

Hopefully I'll be receiving my 50s LP Custom next week. Serial is gone due to a headstock repair - but I suspect it's a 55 due to the old caps (Cornell Dubellier).
Do we know when they started with the Bumblebee caps?
When I get it I'll have a chance to use a mirror to see the Pot date codes...

Last edited:

zhivago

Do we know when they started with the Bumblebee caps?

In my archive, the earliest '55 listed with Bumblebees is serial 513038. :jim

Luckily I have the guitar before it listed too, 513037, but it has what appear to be changed caps.

stunningv_1451489652_55512.jpg