• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

‘70s Les Pauls

mrbeasty

Just curious ... I see Forum sections that cover the ‘50s and the ‘60s eras but nothing for the ‘70s Norlin era, or even the ‘80s ... any reason?

Thanks.

Bob Womack

Methinks the original forum organization was extremely favorable to what was considered the vintage era, the '50s and '60s, and there was an attitude afloat that everything else was a step down, or twelve, from that era. There was a time when guitars from the '70s and '80s were held in pretty strong disfavor here. However, some of that has blown over and these instruments are now valued for their own characteristics. The forum structure has survived, though, and all that stuff lives in the Sunburst/Gibson USA forum now. Being the owner of an early '70s guitar I am glad that the attitudes have softened. It's good to be able to discuss these guitars with aspersions being thrown.

Bob

mrbeasty

The forum is almost 20 years old ... I suppose a 71 Les Paul was ~30 years old and not “vintage” yet. Now it’s almost 50 years old. When does it become Vintage? 😂
... Mötley Crüe and Nirvana are Classic Rock.

Scozz

Methinks the original forum organization was extremely favorable to what was considered the vintage era, the '50s and '60s, and there was an attitude afloat that everything else was a step down, or twelve, from that era. There was a time when guitars from the '70s and '80s were held in pretty strong disfavor here. However, some of that has blown over and these instruments are now valued for their own characteristics. The forum structure has survived, though, and all that stuff lives in the Sunburst/Gibson USA forum now. Being the owner of an early '70s guitar I am glad that the attitudes have softened. It's good to be able to discuss these guitars with aspersions being thrown.

Bob

Well said. The Norlin era produced some of the finest LPs ever made imo, and thankfully during the last 15 years or so people are realizing it.

Cheers

brandtkronholm

Check out the

Sunburst/Gibson USA Pub
Topic area for discussions about Gibson Les Paul guitars that don't fit other Pubs noted below. All Gibson USA Plant production, Classic, Norlin era, etc. belong in this area.

(I copied the above from the forum "Pub" page.)

:salude

AJCR

The forum is almost 20 years old ... I suppose a 71 Les Paul was ~30 years old and not “vintage” yet. Now it’s almost 50 years old. When does it become Vintage? 😂
... Mötley Crüe and Nirvana are Classic Rock.

Technically never.

In Gibson the moniker 'vintage' has always stood for pre 1970, the Norlin corporation takeover date.
Fender has the same unmoving date.....the pre CBS takeover in 64 or 65.

As said, this site generally speaking is more vintage era construction focused, but other forums do offer specific Norlin era subforums.

Bob Womack

Well, I did say "some" of that had blown over. Obviously there are people here that maintain that anything other than 1950s though '61 Gibsons will never be anything other than "old" and will take every opportunity to tell you so. You get used to it.

Bob

thin sissy

I'm a member of a "vintage Gibson" group on FB, when I joined I expected to see 50' and 60's guitars. But people there post anything, even 90's LP's and new reissues. It doesn't bother me, but not what I joined the group for.

I think 70's Gibsons are cool, a Deluxe with mini's is a very useful guitar, and I will probably own one some day. But I don't understand the need to call them "vintage"? I mean age isn't the only deciding factor is it? The 50's Gibsons are sought after because of the quality, not because they are +20 years old?

Again, 70's Gibsons are cool :) But they are different from 50's Gibson's IMHO.

Billy Porter

It's an interesting topic / argument that get's more banal with the passage of time.

in the 1980s 50s Les Pauls were vintage when they were 30 years old

My 73 Les Paul will be 50 years old in 3 years time

When I'm 95 it will it will be 80 years old but still wont be classed as vintage (though doubt I'll be around then LOL)

I personally couldn't care less whether it's classed as vintage or not.

Just find it a bit strange how the 'vintage' owners fight to retain the time lock of vintage despite decades flying by.

rifle

As the years fly by the Sunburst/Gibson USA pup gets bigger and bigger and much harder to find the treads about the ´70 LPs.
I would really lika a dedicated ´70 pub, or maybe stretch out the ´60s pub to ca -75.

mrbeasty

As the years fly by the Sunburst/Gibson USA pup gets bigger and bigger and much harder to find the treads about the ´70 LPs.
I would really lika a dedicated ´70 pub, or maybe stretch out the ´60s pub to ca -75.

+1

I find it difficult to find info about things that are specifically ‘60s, specifically ‘70s or specially ‘80s, etc. as all is lumped together. It is not just on this forum BTW. We all love ‘50s Gibson stuff but as soon as you reach the ‘60s info becomes convoluted, and it gets worst and worst the further you move away from the ‘50s. My $0.02.

AJCR

Well, there is a website specifically devoted to late vintage era:

latesixtieslespauls.com

And there are other resources on the net which have entire subsections specifically devoted to the Norlin era Les pauls.......with timelines of what happened to the construction and when.
So they're most certainly out there.

But the 70's into 80's often get lumped together as the changes were much less concentrated. I mean there was essentially no construction/features change in the 5 year period from 1970-1974/5. Plus the 70's early 80's was the only area of the major deviation from the original construction.

There's also no 90's 2000's or 2010's separated pub either. So its not like the 70's or 80's is an anomaly.