• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Beautiful fading going on the neck of my 60th anniversary LP 59

luizhmax

Really nice to see the fading that is going on my 60th anniversary LP 59 custom shop. I bought it last december and have been playing it as much as I can. It's never been back to its case. Always out. And only today I realised that most of the neck has faded to that beautiful orange tint. Also the aniline bleed on the royalite binding (which was too much to my taste) seems to be going away as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4122.jpg
    IMG_4122.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 290

El Gringo

Really nice to see the fading that is going on my 60th anniversary LP 59 custom shop. I bought it last december and have been playing it as much as I can. It's never been back to its case. Always out. And only today I realised that most of the neck has faded to that beautiful orange tint. Also the aniline bleed on the royalite binding (which was too much to my taste) seems to be going away as well.

Is it in direct sunlight to cause the fading ?

luizhmax

Is it in direct sunlight to cause the fading ?

I can say it's never been in direct sunlight... just outside the case at home. We get a lot of light but never direct sunlight. But the fading is happening stronger in areas of contact, like the neck and in a few areas of the body - I play most of the time sitting down.

Señor Verde

Cool! my R8 has a dark red back and neck. Considering the guitar has VOS finish I always thought it odd the back of the guitar was so dark. I wouldn't mind fading the back and neck, but would rather it happen somehow naturally. Maybe I should lay mine face-down outside in the sun, when it isn't too hot out.

wolowski007

Cool! my R8 has a dark red back and neck. Considering the guitar has VOS finish I always thought it odd the back of the guitar was so dark. I wouldn't mind fading the back and neck, but would rather it happen somehow naturally. Maybe I should lay mine face-down outside in the sun, when it isn't too hot out.

I did this to mine. I have a 2016 R8, and I thought the bright cherry back didn't fit with a lemonburst top. There are a couple hard-to-reach spots I couldn't get direct sunlight on very consistently, but for the most part mine is orange/brown all over.

garywright

I did this to mine. I have a 2016 R8, and I thought the bright cherry back didn't fit with a lemonburst top. There are a couple hard-to-reach spots I couldn't get direct sunlight on very consistently, but for the most part mine is orange/brown all over.

how many hours would you guess that you had it in direct sunlight ?

P.A.F

Yes they fade beautifully, my 2015 true historic is fading a lot! Neck has almost faded to natural, and sides and back are their way to turn natural. Now mine it's more brown than red

wolowski007

how many hours would you guess that you had it in direct sunlight ?

It took several days---5 or 6 total maybe---6 to 8 hours per day probably. I had to prop it up to get the sides facing the sun, then reposition it as the sun moved during the day. And I still didn't get it all even. The cutouts and curves are all still a little bit redder than the back and neck. But it's a lot better than before I tried it.

wolowski007

3B55B121-B617-4D4F-A079-9B4143D45C3E.jpg
I had to take a tuner off yesterday, and took a picture to show just how much my 2016 faded from sunlight.

Last edited: