• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Considering a 1969 ES-335

Logjammin

Hi all, hope to grab some informative opinions on this particular 335

https://reverb.com/item/31754084-gibson-es-335-tdw-1968-69-walnut

Admittedly, I don't know much about the ES line except that I love how they sound. From what I can tell, the serial and orange sticker both seem to check out as far as validating that era. I'm just wanting some opinions if this might be a reasonable purchase vs a couple of mid 70's models that are listed about 1K cheaper.

Thanks!

fakejake

IMO this is way overpriced, given all the mods it has. You should be able to find a clean, all original '69 for just a little more.
Also, the walnut color is much less popular than cherry or sunburst, which would make it much harder to sell it at a later point.
My advice is to move on and look elsewhere.

Logjammin

Thanks for the advice! I do love the walnut finish, but may hold off for the next one to come along. I'm checking out some 70's ones as well.

brandtkronholm

+1 on over priced.

Have you considered any of the new re-issue ES335s? They're out of this world and priced similarly.

rob livesey

It’s just a little bit too messed with for my taste, and the stoptail has been put in the wrong place, I probably wouldn’t be able to look at it after a day in the house as that would jar my sensibilities too much.

I have a ‘69 and a ‘70 335. I paid that price for my very clean untouched ‘70 and not much more for my very clean ‘69.

How he can say 68/69 in the ad baffles me. It simply cannot be a ‘68. It’s late ‘69 or early ‘70 for me with the three piece neck.

Move along and find another, they come up quite often.

AA00475Bassman

1 9/16 nut with ? Being 62 years old buying and playing guitars in the 70's owning a boat load of Gibson's of this vintage I would buy a Historic . I just don't understand the lust for this era Gibson , age does not define a overall good guitar .

fakejake

1 9/16 nut with ? Being 62 years old buying and playing guitars in the 70's owning a boat load of Gibson's of this vintage I would buy a Historic . I just don't understand the lust for this era Gibson , age does not define a overall good guitar .

I respectfully disagree. Up to 1970, I think these can be fantastic guitars. I actually prefer the smaller nutwidth, and the trap tailpiece ads a wonderful slinky feel and a chimey, airy component to the sound.
But as always, one should try the specific instrument before buying. :salude

AA00475Bassman

I respectfully disagree. Up to 1970, I think these can be fantastic guitars. I actually prefer the smaller nutwidth, and the trap tailpiece ads a wonderful slinky feel and a chimey, airy component to the sound.
But as always, one should try the specific instrument before buying. :salude
67 black Trini Lopez , 68 ES 355 ,67 ES 355 walnut , 68 ES 345 none were fantastic !

Progrocker111

I much prefer tone of these late 60s ES3x5s to current ones. Still they are much closer tonewise to early 60s models than new Memphis series with MHS bumbuckers. :hmm

Logjammin

Thanks for all the info and opinions guys. Definitely plenty to consider! I think I’m gonna hold out for the right vintage one to come along. I found a pretty clean 355 I’m drooling over that’s a little more than I’m trying to spend. Guess it’s time to move some gear!