• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Eelco Gelling's 1960 burst in for new strings and fine tuning

DutchRay

Eelco's burst was in for new strings and some frets needed attention. It now plays beautiful again so a soundcheck was next!
These old guitars need to played at volume once in a while so with Eelco's permission, I took it to my favorite mancave!
Simple setup, a Deluxe Reverb Reissue at 10 and Overated Special boost pedal.

What a difference a couple of hours makes, the guitar was great when we started playing and of the coarse of a few hours it just improved all night. It went from great to fabulous, just was the doctor ordered!!!

20200825_214223.jpg

20200825_215831.jpg

20200825_221340.jpg

El Gringo

Nice Les Paul and nice clip . I have to ask what is the circle below the tailpiece and what are the 7 stud, nail or whatever they are for/from ?

DutchRay

Nice Les Paul and nice clip . I have to ask what is the circle below the tailpiece and what are the 7 stud, nail or whatever they are for/from ?
When Eelco got it it was equipped with a Hagstrom Vibrato. Hagstrom in Sweden sold a couple Les Paul's from 1960 with his vibrato.

eelco_gelling.jpg

El Gringo

Wow , very fascinating and I totally get it as some enjoy the flavor of some vibrato or whammy ( probably not the right term to use ) . This method probably weighs less than a Bigsby and by the looks of it takes up less space ?

Tarcisioo

First I though it didn't have many finish cracks/checking, wich would be quite strange as it lived it's live in a quite cold place, but then if you strain your eyes you can see a very subtle checking all over the guitar. It's very subtle though

NINFNM

Yea. Looks like the finish has been once polished or sanded down to a very fine thickness

Drayve85

This might be a dumb question, but so it goes. Eelcos Burst isn’t a refin, is it? The checking, and patina just look different. Not that I know very well what they’re supposed to look like, it just looks different from the rest that I’ve seen pictures of. Idk, lay some knowledge on me, please!? I love the guitar, and it’s whole story! She’s a beautiful guitar, with the voice of an angel!

DutchRay

This might be a dumb question, but so it goes. Eelcos Burst isn’t a refin, is it? The checking, and patina just look different. Not that I know very well what they’re supposed to look like, it just looks different from the rest that I’ve seen pictures of. Idk, lay some knowledge on me, please!? I love the guitar, and it’s whole story! She’s a beautiful guitar, with the voice of an angel!

The finish (or what's remaining) is original. When Eelco played with Golden Earring in the late 70's he visited the Gibson factory to have his guitar refretted. Gibson offered to plug the Hagstrom hole and refinish the guitar but all scratches and dings meant too much for him, so he deceided against the refin and just had them plug the hole.

gibsondog

glad he tuck the strat knobs of ,such an iconic burst , golden earing live Lp the tone Eelco getting out of it is amazing

DutchRay

Just found another video recorded last summer when I had Eelco's guitar in for service.
I just couldn't resist taking it out for a rehearsal (with permission :) ) It sounds sweet and aggressive at the same time!
Amplified by a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue at 10 with a Way Huge Overrated Special for some boost.

Bruce R

Those are some beefy looking pickup ring screws!! Those pickups aren't going anywhere, that's for sure!

Emiel

Ray, thanks for the pics and clips! Are those pickup originals? I remember reading somewhere that they failed and were replaced?

Sounds great no matter what pickups are in there. Would love to hear it in real life when this covid thing is over ;-)

DutchRay

Ray, thanks for the pics and clips! Are those pickup originals? I remember reading somewhere that they failed and were replaced?

Sounds great no matter what pickups are in there. Would love to hear it in real life when this covid thing is over ;-)
Pickups are replaced with custom made Seymour Duncan PAF's.

Marcje

I'm a lurker here, but received the Burst Believers IV book yesterday.
Cool story about this guitar (and you) in there!