• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NVGD: Roy Clark's 1952 Goldtop (1956 Conversion)

MFI Good Day

This is Roy Clark's 1952 Goldtop which he had converted to 1956 specs some time in the 70s, I believe. The top was refinished then at Gibson, the neck shaved a bit without a reset, and the guitar fitted with a stop-bar tailpiece and a shaved down Tunomatic bridge.

Beautiful natural checking on this refinished Goldtop which came in its original case.

With a guitar with such venerable lineage, I tried to balance restoring the original model specifications of this most iconic American brand, while respecting and protecting the legacy of Roy Clark. In that spirit, I bid on & acquired original mid-50s control knobs, ‘56 truss rod cover, Kluson tuners and jackplate cover. (I sealed and preserved the anachronistic versions of all such accessories Roy Clark had, so if one chooses, they can be reinstalled quickly and without hassle). As a signature of this five-time Grammy winning artist, I left in place the relatively modern black pickup selector switch tip Roy used over the years.

Last edited:

marshall1987

Cool guitar. Congratulations! I have always been a big fan of Roy Clark. Remember first seeing him as a regular on the prime-time TV variety show, "Hee-Haw". Along with others like Chet Atkins, Hee-Haw brought authentic country music entertainment to the mainstream. The list of guest stars was extensive. Roy was a smokin' hot guitar picker and a warm-hearted country gentleman. :dude:

I believe this Les Paul was listed for sale on Reverb recently? It looked like an interesting piece, but I was concerned about the shaved neck. But regardless...what a cool piece! Enjoy...:salude

El Gringo

Cool guitar. Congratulations! I have always been a big fan of Roy Clark. Remember first seeing him as a regular on the prime-time TV variety show, "Hee-Haw". Along with others like Chet Atkins, Hee-Haw brought authentic country music entertainment to the mainstream. The list of guest stars was extensive. Roy was a smokin' hot guitar picker and a warm-hearted country gentleman. :dude:

I believe this Les Paul was listed for sale on Reverb recently? It looked like an interesting piece, but I was concerned about the shaved neck. But regardless...what a cool piece! Enjoy...:salude

Cool guitar ditto . I remember watching Hee Haw and Grand Ole Opry on Saturday nights at 7:00pm , following Nightly News ( back then it was John Chancellor, succeed by Tom Brokaw ) I loved the music as well and Roy was a awesome guitarist , along with Buck Owens and the Buckaroos . I loved that red and white and blue sparkle Fender Telecaster that Buck Owens played . Roy Clark I believe favored those big box Gibson Hollowbodies . I miss shows like that ( and I am a born to rock fan ) Just good music and comedy .

zhivago

The tailpiece is definitely in the wrong place...maybe the conversion was done before Gibson refinished it? :hmm

MFI Good Day

The tailpiece is definitely in the wrong place...maybe the conversion was done before Gibson refinished it? :hmm

Yes, tailpiece is set further back about half of an inch. With the shaved bridge and shallower neck angle, I noticed that the string tension is just about what one would get with top wrapping. And top wrapping not much of an option with this guitar given that the setup is as low as can be with the shaved bridge as it is.

Last edited:

darkwave

Slot-less tailpiece studs? I've never seen that before...

-Douglas C.