• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Hey I built a Les Paul guitar and there is a buzzing when I play the strings open.

jrgtr42

I don't think the strings are touching the fretboard but I believe the problem comes from the bridge but its hard to pinpoint where the sound comes from. The problem could be with the nut or with the tuners for all I know.

But yea this my first time building a guitar so I happy to hear all your suggestions

Could be any number of things. Is the buzzing coming through the amp, or just the guitar? Are you sure all screws / bolts / nuts are tight?
Does it happen on all strings, just one, does it happen when playing them all or just on a certain string?
If you touch the string / stings above the nut does it stop?
If you touch the string / stings between the tailpeice and bridge does it stop?
f you put your ear close to the headstock or the bridge does it sound louder or quieter?

rick c

My bet would be it's a problem at one or both ends. It's possible that strings are touching bridge components, most likely the top of saddle adjuster screws. This can happen if the bridge leans back a little and/or the bridge is collapsed. At the head end, if the nut slots are cut too deep then the strings will buzz on the first fret. Put a capo on the first fret and see what happens. An other obvious, possible problem could be too flat a neck or even back-bow; this can be corrected with the truss rod.