• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

No Reponse From Gibson?

MacFangus

Is Gibson is closed-down, due to COVID-1984? I've sent two emails to the CS in regards to a refret, but have not received a response. Anyone else experiencing the same?

jimmyace2006

Is Gibson is closed-down, due to COVID-1984? I've sent two emails to the CS in regards to a refret, but have not received a response. Anyone else experiencing the same?

Only a few people are there from what I understand. I sent an email in early July to customer service for a serial number validation. It took them about 6 weeks to get it done. Normally it takes about 2-3 days.

MacFangus

Only a few people are there from what I understand. I sent an email in early July to customer service for a serial number validation. It took them about 6 weeks to get it done. Normally it takes about 2-3 days.
Thanks.

Just a thought, but... I'm beginning to wonder how long Gibson is going to continue? I live in what is considered one of the most recession-resistant states in the US, and we have lost (literally) hundreds of businesses in my area alone. We are (were) the #1 vacation spot in the nation. The used Gibson market is huge... so, how can new instrument production possibly survive in a collapsed economy? A company will only stay in business as long as it is profitable, right?

Last edited:

axeman565758

They are fully staffed. I know first hand they are playing catch up. Don't forget, they had an-almost 9 week closing between March and June. They also had some other Covid related downtime in July, plus some systems upgrade downtime for approx 1 week.
I have an R0 M2M being built since early January. Stuff is getting done but the backlog is extensive. What you/me/we don't want is any job rushed. Believe me, I want my guitar yesterday, but at the same time, I don't want any corners cut or jobs rushed.
I'd guess that taking the time to answer the numerous emails, check on builds, a repair status or general order questions may take a little while. We've all gotten used to the computer/tech age with instant responses and answers. In this case, sit tight. It will all get done soon enough.

El Gringo

They are fully staffed. I know first hand they are playing catch up. Don't forget, they had an-almost 9 week closing between March and June. They also had some other Covid related downtime in July, plus some systems upgrade downtime for approx 1 week.
I have an R0 M2M being built since early January. Stuff is getting done but the backlog is extensive. What you/me/we don't want is any job rushed. Believe me, I want my guitar yesterday, but at the same time, I don't want any corners cut or jobs rushed.
I'd guess that taking the time to answer the numerous emails, check on builds, a repair status or general order questions may take a little while. We've all gotten used to the computer/tech age with instant responses and answers. In this case, sit tight. It will all get done soon enough.

That's right . Eye on the prize and the phone calls and E-Mails are only an annoyance to them as they are very busy with work . Believe me with the masterpiece quality that they are building they can do it there way all day as the proof is in the pudding ! I do understand that folks want up dates and info and ETA's , but that was never what Gibson was about anyway . What they are about is " Only a Gibson is Good Enough "

El Gringo

So let's be caring out there folks:salude

Yes 100% . I know I will get flamed for saying this but I think the quality level of Gibson Custom Shop today is right there with the Golden era ,with the only thing I honestly could nit pick and that is the most obvious missing ingredient to the "recipe" ( remember that from the Waltons tv show ? the hooch that they drank ? ) would be the PAF pickups .

Tarcisioo

Yes 100% . I know I will get flamed for saying this but I think the quality level of Gibson Custom Shop today is right there with the Golden era ,with the only thing I honestly could nit pick and that is the most obvious missing ingredient to the "recipe" ( remember that from the Waltons tv show ? the hooch that they drank ? ) would be the PAF pickups .

What about PAF pickups? I'm a firm believer that almost 92,7% of tone comes from pickups (sorry wood, you're important on acoustics), but I always find that pickups are such simple components, maybe a handful of parts wired and joined together, that it should be the easier part to get it done.

Really, if you open a pickup, it's so simple, it doesn't look like it holds any secrets. I wonder what the PAF have, I wouldn't doubt they're magical...

El Gringo

What about PAF pickups? I'm a firm believer that almost 92,7% of tone comes from pickups (sorry wood, you're important on acoustics), but I always find that pickups are such simple components, maybe a handful of parts wired and joined together, that it should be the easier part to get it done.

Really, if you open a pickup, it's so simple, it doesn't look like it holds any secrets. I wonder what the PAF have, I wouldn't doubt they're magical...

It's the sum of all the parts put together , from the wood to the electronics . It's the perfect marriage of all parts of the instrument . Check out www.throabk.com , they will have some more information about the qualities that go into a good pickup .

goldtop0

To me (and this has been discussed until the cows come home) is as said above, the sum of the parts. Wood and pups, that mix, that in some cases has produced some great LPs.
I'm happy with the modern day CS guitars, I'm glad Gibson continues to make them, and especially with the M2M program:salude

El Gringo

To me (and this has been discussed until the cows come home) is as said above, the sum of the parts. Wood and pups, that mix, that in some cases has produced some great LPs.
I'm happy with the modern day CS guitars, I'm glad Gibson continues to make them, and especially with the M2M program:salude

Thank the Lord for the M2M program as that is most wonderful !