• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson previews first Murphy Lab models with sneak peek - Guitar World

bjm007

In a short article in Guitar World today - "Gibson previews first Murphy Lab models with sneak peek at new artificially aged Les Pauls"

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/gibson-previews-first-murphy-lab-models-with-sneak-peek-at-new-artificially-aged-les-pauls

When I look at the pictures, the lacquer checking looks a little more natural than the usual Murphy "razor blade" deal... No offense intended to Tom.

So does this possibly mean they finally have taken all the plastic out of their lacquer, and are checking their guitars in a freezer, like Fender, Historic Makeovers, etc? That would be a good thing, in my opinion. Does anybody have the inside scoop?

El Gringo

Hard to tell from the photos about the checking . It would be nice if the plasticizer was removed from the lacquer , but I bet it won't be .

bjm007

Hard to tell from the photos about the checking . It would be nice if the plasticizer was removed from the lacquer , but I bet it won't be .

Yeah, I kinda doubt it too, but if Fender and HM can spray nitro with no plastic in it, why can't Gibson?

That's about the last thing that they just can't seem to get squared away. I hope they finally get this last important thing right. It would be a huge improvement!

We shall see....

fred dons

the cracking on the burst looks to be done with spot freezing (pressured air can) and as a result looks fake, if that is the best they can do with a freezer they should go back to the razor blade

somebodyelseuk

Yeah, I kinda doubt it too, but if Fender and HM can spray nitro with no plastic in it, why can't Gibson?

That's about the last thing that they just can't seem to get squared away. I hope they finally get this last important thing right. It would be a huge improvement!

We shall see....
Trouble is, loads of millenials bought the Johnny Marr Jaguar and sent em back/flooded the net with criticism because "the finish dents easy and cracks".
Alot of Fenders only have nitro top coats with poly underneath, presumably for this reason.
Can't see Gibson ever taking that route, but at the same time, they take enough flack from the ill informed that I can't see em compromising durability for originality.

GotTheSilver

I think it is hard to draw too many conclusions from the photos provided. They are not clear, up close, detailed photos. You really have to have them in hand to judge not only the looks of the aging, but also the feel.

As for them being over the top, I'm not surprised that the first photos Gibson released are "heavy aged" guitars, to show off what they can do. I don't think that means that all guitars coming out of the Murphy Lab will be aged so heavily.

MacFangus

In the days before plasticizer, every guitar had to be stored in curing room for 30 days, before it could be finalized for release. i.e. Install plastics, electronics and metals.

Last edited:

shn750

The checking looks pretty realistic to me on the larger pics at the bottom of the page.

mrbeasty

We shall see....

I believe that the average citizen guitar player wants “nitrocellulose” but cannot actually deal with it. They want a faded instrument with a particular look and style (faded, roadworn or VOS, etc.) and wants it to stay that way.
Gibson only had a couple burst finishes back in the days. They all started looking about the same and eventually 100% of them will become Lemonbursts.
I laugh when I see threads from folks who get upset about a crack in their brand new 2020 nitrocellulose guitar ... so Gibson adds plasticine to stabilize the nitro, the colors, etc. Even the wear and the dents are “sealed” so the whiny customers don’t return their instruments. My CC12 has factory scratches, dents and belt buckle wear, all are sprayed over for protection. ����*♂️

somebodyelseuk

I believe that the average citizen guitar player wants “nitrocellulose” but cannot actually deal with it. They want a faded instrument with a particular look and style (faded, roadworn or VOS, etc.) and wants it to stay that way.
Gibson only had a couple burst finishes back in the days. They all started looking about the same and eventually 100% of them will become Lemonbursts.
I laugh when I see threads from folks who get upset about a crack in their brand new 2020 nitrocellulose guitar ... so Gibson adds plasticine to stabilize the nitro, the colors, etc. Even the wear and the dents are “sealed” so the whiny customers don’t return their instruments. My CC12 has factory scratches, dents and belt buckle wear, all are sprayed over for protection. ����*♂️
Makes me laugh that people pay more for a new guitar to look old, but want old guitars to look new?!?

somebodyelseuk

Makes me laugh that people pay more for a new guitar to look old, but want old guitars to look new?!?