• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Chibson-Busting

Musicaln8

*Hey folks, new member here. I'd like to quickly apologize if this discussion topic is in the wrong area.*

//

I came across an ad for a nice cheap 1998 Gibson Les Paul Studio. I noticed some red flags when I began to ask the owner some questions.

It is supposedly a 98' studio made of ebony, with golden hardware, for $600. The ad had blurry photos, and the price seemed very low for it's condition. Naturally, I asked the owner for some improved quality photos, particularly of the bridge, neck joint, and nut. I even asked if it was okay if I could verify the serial number, and assured him I had no way to "scam" him out of the guitar.

However, the owner saw my requests and refused, insuring it "played great," and was "totally real," as he got it from a close friend. Being that I was able to see very little of the guitar, I was still concerned.

Firstly, I have no serial number; very little of it was revealed in one photo and I was able to captured a small portion of it. From what I saw, it actually seemed legit. But again, no way to tell.

Secondly, the lacquer finish seemed sketchy, but that can be possibly drawn to wear from use. In addition, the guitar had dot inlays, and I have yet to see another authentic guitar from that year have them in this combination.

Thirdly, I was not able to see if the nut was an aftermarket Epiphone; something I'm told is common in fakes. This also applied to the bridge, as I'm not sure how accurate the Tune-O-Matic is to the year.

Lastly, the headstock seemed... not right. The signature was far from the nut, was worn, and there owner would not take clear pictures of the shape.

Any and all help would be appreciated. (Note: I'm currently unable to post attachments).

somebodyelseuk

Hiya and welcome.
First, serial number. If you think it's not a Gibson, the serial number is irrelevant. A faker will put a model appropriate number on it.
Two very easy to see signs of Chinese knock-offery are the bridge posts and the nut on the pickup switch. Gibson (and Japanese Tokais) use small diameter posts with no slots in the top. Chinese knockoffs use larger posts with a slot in the top. The switch nut, on every non Gibson, the nut is a basic bevelled circular nut that sits flush and can be used either way up. A Gibson switch is sort of recessed and the nut only fits one way round. Study pictures, and compare Gibsons with copies, the difference is obvious.
Thing to remember here is the people who make them aren't aiming at Gibson customers, they're going for Epiphone/cheap copy buyers who desperately want the Gibson logo, so they aren't that bothered about accuracy.
When it comes to buying used, if in doubt, don't waste time proving one way or the other. Just walk away and forget it. There are tons of genuine ones around.

rick c

" the owner saw my requests and refused" is enough for me to walk away. There is no excuse with the abundance of smart phones and other electronic cameras and messaging and email platforms not to provide as many detailed pictures that a potential buyer may ask for. Walk away.