• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

65ri Pelham Blue Firebird questions

77CUSTOM

Hey guys/ladies!

I recently purchased a 65ri Pelham Blue Firebird. It came without a C.O.A. I'm trying to determine the year of the guitar. It was sold to me as a 2002, I believe it to be a 2002. The serial number is 020385, but someone at gibson customer service said it was a 2012 Vintage Sunburst originally shipped to Japan.

Here are some of the things that lead me to believe it is a 2002: It has rounded fretboard inlays and the caps are small orange ceramic caps. All the solder joints are original.

I have found a 2010 Firebird with the serial # beginning with 010xxx and a 2012 with 020xxx, both of these have the sharp corner inlays. I have also been trying to determine when Gibson switched the volume pots for the reissues to the plain back pots as opposed to the Gibson embossed volume pots. I believe this will help me narrow down the year of manufacturing.

I sent an email with pictures to Jon Sutherland at Gibson Customer service. I'm hoping he can come back with some solid info. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed