• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Peter Green's 'other' 'Burst

au_rick

so it seems there was another '59 Les Paul that was given to Peter Green in 1978
does anyone have any info on this guitar please ?

somebodyelseuk

so it seems there was another '59 Les Paul that was given to Peter Green in 1978
You sure about that? I'm pretty sure he was in prison during 78.
I remember seeing a photo of him sat holding a 78ish Strat in 82, but his appearance was... lets just say he was not in good shape, and at that period he would have been in and out of hospitals.
I can't see anyone giving him a guitar at that point in time, let alone a 59 Les Paul.

King Loudness

Peter Green was given a '60 Burst by Mick Fleetwood in '79. It had a replaced neck and replacement pickups wired out of phase. Prior, the '60 had belonged to Paul Warren of Rare Earth. Frank Lucido was the seller to Fleetwood/Green:

PETER_GREEN_03.jpg

Full story here:
https://www.vintageguitar.com/22223/peter-green/

W.

Bruce R

I wonder what Frank Lucido is up to these days? I knew him and his twin brother, Sal, way back when and have lost track of both. He was in the business at the right time and the right place!

sidekick

Seem to recall in an early book "My Life and Adventures with Fleetwood Mac" Mick Fleetwood briefly mentioned this. From memory, FM were trying to get Peter Green back playing in 1978 when he was over in the USA having married a USA woman, (which lasted about a year). The guitar story went along the lines that Mick bought this Burst for him, only to find to his horror that Peter shortly gave it away to some guy in a hotel lift whom he had taken pity on. The guy, (probably a conman dependent on drugs) promptly pawned it for cash and when Mick Fleetwood found out they went around all the pawn shops and got it back.

El Gringo

Seem to recall in an early book "My Life and Adventures with Fleetwood Mac" Mick Fleetwood briefly mentioned this. From memory, FM were trying to get Peter Green back playing in 1978 when he was over in the USA having married a USA woman, (which lasted about a year). The guitar story went along the lines that Mick bought this Burst for him, only to find to his horror that Peter shortly gave it away to some guy in a hotel lift whom he had taken pity on. The guy, (probably a conman dependent on drugs) promptly pawned it for cash and when Mick Fleetwood found out they went around all the pawn shops and got it back.

That is a crazy story and I can imagine the dismay Mick Fleetwood felt . Too bad illness robbed such talent from Peter Green . Truly sad !

c_wester

That is a crazy story and I can imagine the dismay Mick Fleetwood felt . Too bad illness robbed such talent from Peter Green . Truly sad !

I think the talent is or was still there, its just that schizophrenia and ECT etc does quite the job on a mind that needs to concentrate.