• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Questions about Gibson Memphis 2018 Limited Run ES-335 1958 Premiere Semi-Hollow Elec

gibson-memphis-2018-limited-run-es-335-1958-premiere-semi-hollow-electric-guitar-58-burst

Hello...My thinking of getting this es 335 58'...I could not find much information regarding reviews especially about the neck feel...sound..tone...I only saw Greg Koch's youtube video..Has anybody had any experience with it? I might get one in September...Thank you..the store has a brand new NOS for 4600 U.S Dollar....

wmachine

goldtop0

US$4600 is a good price for a new one, usually they're at least 1k more from what I've seen internationally and Gibson are currently not making any more '58s.
It should have a fat neck so check that with the dealer.
Played one a year ago and it was a very good sounding guitar, medium weight at 8.5lbs with the fat neck that I like.
I recently bought a 2nd hand Nashville '14 '59 from Japan because I couldn't find a used '58 with a fat neck at a lower price.
All the best with it and welcome to the forum:salude

Yes...thanks for the replies....I am looking for a fat neck....just wondering what I will be expecting when I go down to my dealer...How about sound wise?

goldtop0

Yes...thanks for the replies....I am looking for a fat neck....just wondering what I will be expecting when I go down to my dealer...How about sound wise?

Just play it and you'll find out..........I really love my one, it's just so airy and open sounding(acoustically) compared to my R6 and R8 LPs, that's why they call 335s the LP killers.
Mine's got Custombucker pups that I really like(as with my R8), yours has the MHS ones that I've only used the once when I tried the '58 a year ago......they sounded good.

If you end up buying it please post some pics:2cool

Ok...so I am guessing from what I read that many that owns 335 replace their pick ups? Not happy with the MHSs'? I watched Fosset youtube comparison of the 335 and a Les Paul..he replaced the 335 pick ups with Porters Anthem PAF..and i have to saw...wow!!! but for may or not be a collectable 335(memphis,limited run,58neck) I am kind of hesitant to replace them(Although I have changed 90 percent of my Les Paul Black beauty components by myself)..would like to keep it as original as possible...I use my Marshall Joe Satriani Head and Cab almost exclusively..will a reverb/delay(specular tempus) improve the sound?

I do not use overdrive for my JoeSat...but I do have JHS superbolt and Free the tone gig boson overdrive...Beatronix fuzz...As you can see I spend more money on amps and cabs and effects than guitars...because I am very particular about my guitar...have not find a custom shop r9 that I liked as yet...Willcut guitars has some spectacular r9s...I am sticking with Gibson because I know the guitars intimately...and parts are easy to find...as much I love PRS Core Santana(whole another story..tried 3 of them) the availability of parts even the saddles are non existent in my country(and resale valeue is really bad over here)..
Gibson parts every second store has them...So sticking to Gibson...335 the one I am going to get on Sept...R9 still looking...

Ok..I just bought the guitar on Monday...Tried it the store and preconceived notions of the guitar was dispelled..The Pick ups ate great..yes the bridge on full on tone is really bright but O was suprised that the tone and volume were very usable...mind you I have not test it at home full on..

So I have not done a complete set up...I just changed the strings to Pure Blues 11s...clean and oiled the fretboard...polis and wax the body...clean the nut and bridge...apply nut sauce on nut and saddles...tune to pitch and put it back in the case to let the neck settle...and I did play it through my fillmore head and cab...I find the sustain to be very good..I was surprised because I read that the guitar sounds tiny? Not mine...I will play it stock for a month...and thinking of using nylons on the treble strings...but I only find the b and e to be a little bright..sounds great with gigs boson overdrive..But I prefer it through the fillmore clean and O.D channel with no pedals...maybe a reverb...

I have the Gibson es 335 set up spec...
So the neck is supposed to be set straight? Relief no more than a piece of paper..so that is pretty much straight?

renderit

The 2016 run was SPECTACULAR.

Best sounding 335 I ever touched straight out of the box.
36125239504_276d696dc5_4k.jpg

36151438393_1e9d2574d4_4k.jpg

36125267044_33d0528544_4k.jpg

36772725166_5f1b5722cf_4k.jpg