• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD - 1972 Standard?

Wyldefreebyrd

Decided to get a vintage Les Paul and figured a birth year guitar would do nicely. Listed as a Standard, know there is a possibility it's not, but hard to verify since serial numbers were reused. Had a neck repair at some point and original pickups were swapped out for 490R/498T pups. Have since installed a set of Super Distortions and also picked up a set of 1972 T-Tops with the Gibson embossed covers (may install at some point).

Attachments

• IMG_1886.jpg
    IMG_1886.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1913.jpg
    IMG_1913.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1963.jpg
    IMG_1963.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1890.jpg
    IMG_1890.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 64

Midnight Blues

Nice! Congrats, HNGD
jam.gif
and play her in good health!

AJCR

Pots and caps indicates its a 1972 era, as well as the logo type.

But only ever deluxes from that year.......So the choice is 'factory vs aftermarket humbucker rout'. The indications are strongly toward a factory job.

Looks like a nice guitar!!

El Gringo

Pots and caps indicates its a 1972 era, as well as the logo type.

But only ever deluxes from that year.......So the choice is 'factory vs aftermarket humbucker rout'. The indications are strongly toward a factory job.

Looks like a nice guitar!!

I agree as the rout's appear too clean and precise to not be factory .

Last edited:

El Gringo

Decided to get a vintage Les Paul and figured a birth year guitar would do nicely. Listed as a Standard, know there is a possibility it's not, but hard to verify since serial numbers were reused. Had a neck repair at some point and original pickups were swapped out for 490R/498T pups. Have since installed a set of Super Distortions and also picked up a set of 1972 T-Tops with the Gibson embossed covers (may install at some point).

Beautiful NGD . My 2 cents would be to install the T-Tops as they belong on that era of a Les Paul , and I think they are a pretty nice sounding pickup .

CK6

Congratulations! I also got a birth year guitar - ‘77 Custom.

I would install the T-Top pickups as they sound killer & can heard on some of the best rock albums of that era.

Wyldefreebyrd

T-Tops will eventually be installed. Wanted to try the super distortions. Thanks for all the feedback.

cincyguitar

I bought my LP Deluxe in 73....didn't think there were Standards made then....maybe a LP Custom...

AA00475Bassman

I have issues with never being said who ever routed the " Most likely Factory " applied finish to the floor of the routes .

Precise route finish on floor = factory !

IMO few have the paper work on this Forum to make any claim as to what Gibson did in the 70's

This is first I've seen of this , does not mean Gibson did not build !