• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pick Up Height Adjustment on 90th Les Paul Classic

clausio

Hi there, recently for better response to a special amp, I came back to the idea to think about PU adjustment; great guitar, quite big output, but with tendency to get a bit "bassy". I put them down quite a bit, although I understand it`s mostly a matter of taste. I came around the 1/16 " (or for us in cm, 0,16) which I find very close - and not sure from where to where... I would be grateful for any advice, thanks a lot from Germany

Señor Verde

When I had my Classics, I swapped out all the electronics. The guitar came with 300K pots which is quite low for a humbucker, even moreso with hot pickups. Even just replacing the volume and tone pots really opened up the sound of the guitar. If you want to stick with only adjusting the pickups, I would adjust the polepieces so the entire round part of the screws are above the top of the bobbin and lower the whole pickup so the poles measure 5/64" on the treble side and 3/32" on the bass side. Something in a lower output pickup would help too. Stock Classic pickups are pretty hot compared to a lot of pickups.

El Gringo

Try lowering the pickup screws on the mounting rings a half turn clockwise which should lower the pickup in the mounting ring and hopefully that will solve the issue .

clausio

Thanks but I DO know how to do it - I was looking for advice about the apropriate adjustment height and how to measure

El Gringo

Thanks but I DO know how to do it - I was looking for advice about the apropriate adjustment height and how to measure

Sorry didn't mean any offense . There really is no book on height and it really is personal preference . For myself I like the pickups as high as possible in order for maximum output , which is based on the sweet spot and intonation and avoiding the dreaded buzzing . It's really all about that compromise of where it works .

garywright

there are some excellent videos on YouTube giving examples that will get you started ..fwiw, some players adjust their amps tone settings to their neck pickup then back off the bridge pups treble

clausio

Ok, thanks to yo all - sure...So there mighrt as well be the rule that "there is no rule"... Actually I did have them a bit high, I think. In the vids I found 1/16" or 1,6 mm and wondered from where to where they measure - seems pretty close, though..