• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Varitone Question

thcguitars

Working on a 345T with a stereo Varitone - customer wants monaural architecture and I'm using the below diagram and have a question as to the reason for the 100k res on the OP. Is it an anti-noise thing? Learn me. Please.
39174286294_588b184da2_b.jpg

VamboRool

You could always build the circuit outside of the guitar and put the resistor in and out of the circuit to see how it changes. You may get a little bleed thru with it in. Give it a try and report back to us.

poor man's burst

You could always build the circuit outside of the guitar and put the resistor in and out of the circuit to see how it changes. You may get a little bleed thru with it in. Give it a try and report back to us.

If you simply "remove" (by clipping it) the 100k resistor from the circuit, you will get no signal as it is in serie in the signal path. If you want to bypass it, there is no need to build the circuit outside the guitar, just shunt first and commun tags on the rotary switch with a piece of wire.

TM1

The 100K resistor will lower the output some, but I think it helps the clarity of the signal path. I know my 1965 Epiphone "Al Caiola Custom" had a 35K resistor in the circuit the same way. I just removed it and put a bare wire in it's place. The 10 meg resistors are to remove the click pop when changing positions.

Last edited: