• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Stripping vintage J35 acoustic

Bluesman1956

I have a 1939 J35 that was given to me by the original owner some time ago. It sounds fantastic but unfortunately he did a crude attempt at a refinish job probably 40 years ago. It has a natural spruce top with I believe to be mahogany sides and back. The top is the main problem it appears to be a rough poly cost over the original finish. Again the guitar is in fairly good condition given its age and I have no intent on selling it but would like to at the very least remove the poly in a safe manner to let the guitar return to its original state. Any suggestions or should I take it to a pro?

zhivago

Absolutely take it to a pro.

Stripping a poly finish off an electric is pretty hard (I did it once years ago - never again). I can't imagine doing it on my own on an acoustic guitar. And a '39 J35, at that.

Take it to someone that knows about restoring vintage acoustic guitars. :salude

Bluesman1956

Absolutely take it to a pro.

Stripping a poly finish off an electric is pretty hard (I did it once years ago - never again). I can't imagine doing it on my own on an acoustic guitar. And a '39 J35, at that.

Take it to someone that knows about restoring vintage acoustic guitars. :salude
Your absolutely right, now to find the pro with that experience!!

VamboRool

You might want to add where you are located, what city in the USA or are you in Europe or Asia. I could give you advice for SoCal, but that may not be a good option for you.