• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help! Struggling with Les Paul Custom Project

Leadcake

I would REALLY appreciate some advice you guys. I'm adding lots of detail to help.

In a nutshell, I'm having two major issues, humbucker noise interference and tuning stability

MY GUITAR:

1. 1991 Orville by Gibson Les Paul Custom 3 Pickup (Black Beauty)
2. Bigsby B7
3. Zero Glide nut (https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/zeroglide/)
4. Locking tuners
5. Kill switch (https://tesiswitch.com/shop/ols/pro...etal-momentary-push-button-guitar-kill-switch)
6. Neck and Bridge Pickups: Corsa Manalishi SplitBucker (https://corsaguitars.com/product/manalishi-splitbucker-pickups/)
Middle Pickup: Fralin Noiseless Alnico P90
7. 6-way Freeway Switch (Neck, Neck/Bridge, Bridge, Neck/Middle. Middle, Middle/Bridge)
8. Wiring Scheme: Master Volume, Master Tone (push pull to coil split Neck/Bridge)
9. Roller Bridge

THE PROBLEMS:

1. The Neck and Bridge humbuckers are incredibly noisy. They are sensitive to lights in my house in particular, as well as angle to the amp. My Noiseless P90 middle pickup is nearly silent by comparison in all situations. I don’t think the interference is being caused by the freeway 6 toggle switch or the kill switch since the middle P90 sounds fine.

My Solution: I’m thinking since the p90 sounds so great, I will replace the neck and bridge with additional Fralin Noiseless P90’s.

2. I feel like I’ve done everything I can technically to keep the guitar in tune. Since there should be no issue with the nut at this point, I have to assume that it’s the Bigsby.

My Solution: Remove the Bigsby and go back to stop tail. Should I also remove the zero glide nut and go back to a bone or other material nut?

Thanks for any opinions you have on my assumptions or proposed solutions.

somebodyelseuk

The noisy buckers... Are you certain they're wired in correctly?
First, if ypu have the grounds wiired to the wrong tag on the jack, it'll be noisy.
Sounds like a grounding issue, check all grounding wires.
Tuning issue... Bigsbys are not Floyd Roses, so divebombing is out. Gentle waggling should be okay. Nut slots should point to the tuning posts, NOT be parallel with the neck.
I do play various different non-locking trem guitars. Tuning issues are almost always nut slots. The rest of the time it's bridge saddles. I find roller saddles as much of a PITA as TOM saddles, because after a while sweat gets in there and the rollers seize up.
Brutal honesty, a Gibson is the last place I'd fit a trem unit.

EDIT: Now I've had a look at the zeroglide nut link, I wouldn't have that anywhere near a guitar, especially one wth a trem. If you stick with the trem, get a Graphtek Tusq nut blank and get the slots cut by an expert. If you ditch the trem, whichever you prefer, but same advice on slots.

Last edited:

El Gringo

The noisy buckers... Are you certain they're wired in correctly?
First, if ypu have the grounds wiired to the wrong tag on the jack, it'll be noisy.
Sounds like a grounding issue, check all grounding wires.
Tuning issue... Bigsbys are not Floyd Roses, so divebombing is out. Gentle waggling should be okay. Nut slots should point to the tuning posts, NOT be parallel with the neck.
I do play various different non-locking trem guitars. Tuning issues are almost always nut slots. The rest of the time it's bridge saddles. I find roller saddles as much of a PITA as TOM saddles, because after a while sweat gets in there and the rollers seize up.
Brutal honesty, a Gibson is the last place I'd fit a trem unit.

EDIT: Now I've had a look at the zeroglide nut link, I wouldn't have that anywhere near a guitar, especially one wth a trem. If you stick with the trem, get a Graphtek Tusq nut blank and get the slots cut by an expert. If you ditch the trem, whichever you prefer, but same advice on slots.

I agree about your Brutal honesty as I feel the same way . I guess back in the 50-60's the thought was to give the instrument more versatility but I just don't think it's that practical because of the nut and the infamous G string . At the same time I am not trying to rain on someone else's parade .

gibson-r8

My first instinct when I have noise is go back over my wiring and solder joints. Never fails when I wire one. I don’t seem to have improved my solder skills with time, but that’s me....