• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1956 Custom, dealers and your approach

aside

Hi guys,

I'm cashed up enough to get that Custom I've always wanted. For this to happen from my part of the world (Australia) it's pretty much a case of 'buy from the US, and hope you like the instrument when she arrives'.

Alhtough I've had a number of vintage guitars, I've never bought one through a dealer. My question is this - how much wiggle room with pricing have you experienced, and are their dealers out there with inflated pricing to cater for this?

The price range for similar instruments in this case is wide, which is to be expected... just curious to hear success stories from buyers that got the asking price down to something more reasonable, and how often this happens etc.

Cheers :salude

El Gringo

Hi guys,

I'm cashed up enough to get that Custom I've always wanted. For this to happen from my part of the world (Australia) it's pretty much a case of 'buy from the US, and hope you like the instrument when she arrives'.

Alhtough I've had a number of vintage guitars, I've never bought one through a dealer. My question is this - how much wiggle room with pricing have you experienced, and are their dealers out there with inflated pricing to cater for this?

The price range for similar instruments in this case is wide, which is to be expected... just curious to hear success stories from buyers that got the asking price down to something more reasonable, and how often this happens etc.

Tricky proposition trying to lower asking prices , it can be done but tread lightly . A few of my favorite shops for vintage instruments is Lark Street Music ( Buzzy , a fine gent ) and Gruhn Guitars . Be nice and ask if they can knock off a little off the price . Best wishes !

au_rick

Hi guys,

Pretty sure the Rock Inn in Perth had one of these for sale a while ago

au_rick

Tricky proposition trying to lower asking prices , it can be done but tread lightly . A few of my favorite shops for vintage instruments is Lark Street Music ( Buzzy , a fine gent ) and Gruhn Guitars . Be nice and ask if they can knock off a little off the price . Best wishes !

Or hook up with a reputed broker / dealer to be on the lookout for you rather than shop "retail" ?

57gold

Send a note to Gil Southworth to see if he has what you are looking for. Bought my two first vintage guitars from him years ago (1962 LP/SG and 1964 FB V) and then traded a 1963 Strat for a 1959 ES345 double whites...and he owned and photographed my 1957 GT (in color in Golden Years orange book). He is not particularly price flexible as he is convinced that his price is "correct", he doesn't build in a 10% discount like others will give up to get a deal done.

http://www.southworthguitars.com/

Of the advertisers on LPF, also hold Carter's Vintage in high regard. Nashville based and fully priced, but they see a lot of good stuff being in a music center.

FWIW, I have a 1958 Custom for sale at The Music Emporium outside Boston. They have sold 4 of my very nice vintage instruments on consignment at reasonable terms with great marketing (photos, demos...), the sold 1957 Strat and 1959 ES 355 on their site were mine. Great shop and folks, but primarily a new instrument shop.

goldtop0

Those named above and Abalone Vintage(Eric Ernest).
Good luck with your hunt .............and pics when you get it:2cool

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
asking to knock something off the price is almost never a good approach. Treat the dealer with respect, and make an offer. It's like any negotiation.

Sure smooth talkers can get a a nice bit of wiggle room. There are lots of factors and personalities. Maybe the dealer needs to move some stuff and is having a slow period. Maybe not.

Basic negotiating skills go a long way. Any reasonable offer is good. How low will offend the seller? take a chance.:salude

au_rick

Those named above and Abalone Vintage(Eric Ernest).
Good luck with your hunt .............and pics when you get it:2cool

What he said ^^^ (good luck getting any response from Gil though ?)

aside

Yeah is Gil still in business? I've contacted him twice in recent years with no response.

57gold

Facebooked (if that's a verb) with Gil recently. He's self quarantining to the max..."this bug is the plague".

Caught up with him here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2264873932

Still doing business, offered me $s for one of my instruments, so he's still in the game.

Last edited:

Aloha_Ark

Send a note to Gil Southworth to see if he has what you are looking for.

Gil is a very hard guy to get a hold of. He seems to ignore legitimate inquiries. Is this because he has more business than he needs?

MikeSlub

Administrator
With vintage instruments, it's most important to "buy the seller".

Deal with someone with great references and integrity - that you verify yourself.

And ask lots of questions. A key question, among others, is "does this guitar have any 'issues' whatsoever?" :hank

aside

With vintage instruments, it's most important to "buy the seller".

Deal with someone with great references and integrity - that you verify yourself.

And ask lots of questions. A key question, among others, is "does this guitar have any 'issues' whatsoever?" :hank

Thanks Mike and others for chiming in, very helpful.

I'm looking for a custom or a nice 335, both are on the wishlist. Hey has anyone dealt with Street Legal Guitars in Austin?