• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

A pedal for Duane...

Drayve85

Ok, so, I was watching a video on the peacock overdrive pedal, and I seen something that’s been confusing me. At the beginning there is a short description of the pedal and how it came to be, kinda. It said that the peacock pedal design was based on a pedal that Duane was given by “a gentleman who used to work at an electronics store in Atlanta in 1971.” But, I didn’t think Duane, or Dickey for that matter, used a pedal. I’m sure they had pedals back then. Obviously. But, from what I’ve read, and learned from everyone here, the ABB recordings that we all listen never had effect pedals on them. Just straight sweet, sweet pre and power amp overdrive. And of course the JBL’s also!lol does anyone know anything about said pedal and/or said gentleman?? This is the video:https://youtu.be/9R37BOW0H70. Thanks.

-Don

TM1

Don’t forget that most of the studio recordings were Fender amps..

Drayve85

Yeah, I know that. I’m wondering what this “mysterious” pedal is. And, whether or not it’s just hogwash you sell some pedals, or there really was a pedal. I’m sure if the pedal was any good, somebody would have heard about it, and/or know something about it!

duaneflowers

I've got the Peacock (although the design on Duane's shirt was a Griffon, not a peacock) as well as the Statesboro Bluesman pedal (also by Missing Link Audio) and I really like them. I use the Peacock for fretting and the Bluesman for slide. I've been driving them through a Mesa Boogie King Snake of late and I really like them a lot. I don't know anything about Duane ever using any kind of pedal with the Bros, either live or in the studio so while the guy may have made one for him I don't know if he actually ever used it. They really do capture Duane and Dickey's Fillmore tone though. :salude

Drayve85

That’s what I’m thinking too. There was probably a pedal made for him, but he never or rarely used it. And, if he did it wasn’t at concerts or on records.
I’ve been really intrigued with that Peacock pedal for a while now. Just the other night I finally figured what all is in one, and made one for myself. I am pretty happy with the results! The three capacitor values in it really give a wide range of tones. I even put in another switch to change the clipping diodes, and changed a resistor to get a little more oomph to it.:yah The Statesboro Bluesman and the Black Hearted Woman look really cool too, but the peacock pedal really caught my fancy.

corpse

It kills me- what DF says- he has EVERY guitar and pedal on God's Green earth- and he plays ABB thru a Mesa. DF- not a dig remotely- just amazing what these hat holders on either side of my head will do sometimes.
We played Whipping Post- I have several Brown Faced amps from the early 1960's. I used a middle- volume Pro with a 15. I had a little dirt from a Boss Super OD- very little- and it sounded great to me.
Man- there are so many variables. What speakers? JBL's or CV? Mine happened to be Warehouse Brand Jensen 12C.
What missed it for us- one drummer. You need two.

Triburst

First off, I saw him play several times in New Orleans, and don't remember seeing Duane use a pedal. Other than a Fender reverb unit sitting with his Marshall heads, I don't think he had any effects - Just cranked Marshalls (mostly with silver cones like JBL's). I wasn't a gearhead back then, so I really didn't pay a LOT of attention, but that's what I remember. I've noticed Forum member Ed A absolutely nailed Duane's tone (and Page's as well) on some things he's posted here. Search for some of those videos.

duaneflowers

It kills me- what DF says- he has EVERY guitar and pedal on God's Green earth- and he plays ABB thru a Mesa. DF- not a dig remotely- just amazing what these hat holders on either side of my head will do sometimes.
We played Whipping Post- I have several Brown Faced amps from the early 1960's. I used a middle- volume Pro with a 15. I had a little dirt from a Boss Super OD- very little- and it sounded great to me.
Man- there are so many variables. What speakers? JBL's or CV? Mine happened to be Warehouse Brand Jensen 12C.
What missed it for us- one drummer. You need two.

:spabout

Its not just a Mesa, its a King Snake!! I was making a demo tape (can we still say tape) of the Peacock Pedal in question (which I still haven't gotten around to finishing) and was just too lazy to wheel the Twin Reverb out as I wanted an EXTREMELY clean sample to base them off of. The King Snake is based on Santana's killer Mesa with a few added bells and whistles, for example the ability to switch between a Blackface and Tweed circuit. That combined with the ability to run it at 10 watts sealed the deal. While sounding good, the pedal didn't totally nail it through the Clapton Champ, Ceriatone OTS, Bluesbreaker or Blues Junior, but I do want to run it through the 1974x to see if the Marshall coloring there doesn't take too much away. I'm sure the Fillmore Speaker in the King Snake added to the equation as well though. Recently most of my playing is through the Kemper though, with its new voice selectable Kemper Kone speaker which has a JBL D120F imprint which sounds awesome. :salude

Nick-O

It does something very close. I doubt Duane needed a pedal to help him with anything.....me I need all the help I can get!

3T56XrI.jpg

Drayve85

Hey nick-o, that’s a very nice looking pedal board!! Would yo be at all willing to take a pic of the guys of that peacock overdrive, maybe? I’ve been trying to make one base off of the VERY few pics online. I still have some questions about what the pedals circuit is doing. Is that at all possible?? Anybody else for that matter, anyone here that has that pedal, and you are willing to take a guy shot of it. That would be amazing, and very much appreciated!! Thanks.

Nick-O

Hey nick-o, that’s a very nice looking pedal board!! Would yo be at all willing to take a pic of the guys of that peacock overdrive, maybe? I’ve been trying to make one base off of the VERY few pics online. I still have some questions about what the pedals circuit is doing. Is that at all possible?? Anybody else for that matter, anyone here that has that pedal, and you are willing to take a guy shot of it. That would be amazing, and very much appreciated!! Thanks.

Ok, I guess I could do that.

duaneflowers

You seem rather intent on ripping off someone else's work... any reason why we should help you?

Drayve85

To rip him off would mean that I plan on selling what I “rip-off.” Which I do not. I just enjoy making pedals , and am not in the financial position at this time to buy a pedal. The circuit in the peacock drive is already a “ripoff” of an other circuit that is well loved. Most pedals made today are just copies of other pedals, with maybe a few component values changed. I really like the sound of the pedal and wanted to make one for myself, but have had a hard time finding what I need.

duaneflowers

To rip him off would mean that I plan on selling what I “rip-off.” Which I do not. I just enjoy making pedals , and am not in the financial position at this time to buy a pedal. The circuit in the peacock drive is already a “ripoff” of an other circuit that is well loved. Most pedals made today are just copies of other pedals, with maybe a few component values changed. I really like the sound of the pedal and wanted to make one for myself, but have had a hard time finding what I need.

Fair enough...

8-jpg.403563

MeHereNow

Build a vero Zendrive, get a dpdt on/on switch, solder 2 red or green LED's in parallel on one side of the the switch and 2 Bat41's in series and 1 Bat41 or 1n60/34 in parallel to the other 2 on the other side of the switch.
Socket the IC (i liked the tl072, BB opa2134 and AD712) and the transistors (2n7000 or bs170, mind the pinout)
Or buy a joyo tai chi, fuchs plush drive, jetter gainstage red, karmafx buddha blues, or a lovepedal Mosferatu low gain (and solder 1 extra diode in that one) these are all the exact same circuit.

Drayve85

Wow! I’m sorry I asked! I’ve seen that pic, and another one with a strip board in it, but I can’t see why or where the 2 other LEDs on the pcb pic are going seeing as there are still 3 BAT 41 diodes for clipping. And, apparently the switch on it is for the capacitor values and the PIO cap.

I have built a vero board zendrive, but I can’t figure out if the second side of the opamp is being used for the LEDs. I was just trying to figure out what he was doing in this pedal. I apologize for asking.