• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Wonky 3-way pickup selector switch?

frtbuzz

EDIT - Thanks all for your help, much appreciated. This is a great community, I'm glad to have found it! I ended up taking it to a pro to look at and he was able to get it back in the right position which solved the problem. Just love the way the LP sounds, now I "get it"

First time posting, really appreciate the resource. :eek:la

I recently bought my first LP:peace2, and it has a wonky 3-way toggle. I select the top position and in about 20-30 seconds it usually flips back to the middle position. It looks like the switch is off-center so it isn't straight up & down. I noticed that when I unscrew the toggle knob the problem seems to stop, so maybe the switch isn't sitting right in the mount?

Did it likely come from the factory like this? If not, do I return the guitar?

If it's standard Gibson quality quirk:rolleyes:, how much should I expect to get it fixed?

Thanks for reading this post and sharing your insights!!!:2zone

Last edited:

RodgerF

Mine did that too. A little electrical contact cleaner fixed it right up.

somebodyelseuk

Does it look off centre with the knob removed?
If so, it's a duff switch and needs replacing. If not then the knob is probably drilled off centre... and needs replacing.
Switches are about 25 quid, I think. Switch tips are peanuts, as long as you don't buy Gibson branded packaging.

garywright

my guess is also the switch tip ..if not off center it may be a hair too long

Strings Jr.

Remove the back cover and gently give the switch a very slight "bend" downward.

Usually works, and may save you a lot of time and trouble.