• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul

spooky

Hopefully this is in the correct section.

I am considering the 60th Anniversary 1959 model. I am told that they come with the pickguard fitted, which is a bit unfortunate if true. Can anyone confirm?

I have also seen a used Andertons 1959 Reissue (Heritage?) tribute guitar (Peter Green) that I am tempted by, although it is OX4 pups instead of the originals.

Any thoughts or advice in relation to the above?

somebodyelseuk

Hopefully this is in the correct section.

I am considering the 60th Anniversary 1959 model. I am told that they come with the pickguard fitted, which is a bit unfortunate if true. Can anyone confirm?

I have also seen a used Andertons 1959 Reissue (Heritage?) tribute guitar (Peter Green) that I am tempted by, although it is OX4 pups instead of the originals.

Any thoughts or advice in relation to the above?
I own a 60th Anniie R9. They do come with the pickguard fitted. Great guitar.
I tried to find the Andertons guitar, ran out of patience... their website is shite. FWIW, I'd use the non-original pickups as a means to haggle the price down - I assume they're asking the going rate for it.

spooky

I own a 60th Anniie R9. They do come with the pickguard fitted. Great guitar.
I tried to find the Andertons guitar, ran out of patience... their website is shite. FWIW, I'd use the non-original pickups as a means to haggle the price down - I assume they're asking the going rate for it.

Thanks for that. I've usually not fitted pickguards and wouldn't have it fitted by choice, but I guess it's not really all that important.

The Andertons guitar was a run they did a few years ago:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-...-artist-inspired-59-les-paul-dirty-lemon-fade

The asking price is around £3,750 but open to offers. I think these were Standard Heritage with some customisation but I could be completely wrong. For some reason the original pups weren't retained so I guess it's reasonable to come down on price for that, although I'm not yet sure what the going rate should be.

somebodyelseuk

Thanks for that. I've usually not fitted pickguards and wouldn't have it fitted by choice, but I guess it's not really all that important.

The Andertons guitar was a run they did a few years ago:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-...-artist-inspired-59-les-paul-dirty-lemon-fade

The asking price is around £3,750 but open to offers. I think these were Standard Heritage with some customisation but I could be completely wrong. For some reason the original pups weren't retained so I guess it's reasonable to come down on price for that, although I'm not yet sure what the going rate should be.
I'm the opposite. I prefer em on, except on lemondrops. Same with pup covers.
It's hard to place a value on dealer run guitars. 3750 doesn't seem unreasonable.
I was lusting after a 2014 R9 at Vintage and Rare in Bath for months, for £3650, before I got the 60th. FWIW they also have a really nice 2017 R9, for, 3995, guard off, in lemon.

spooky

I'm the opposite. I prefer em on, except on lemondrops. Same with pup covers.
It's hard to place a value on dealer run guitars. 3750 doesn't seem unreasonable.
I was lusting after a 2014 R9 at Vintage and Rare in Bath for months, for £3650, before I got the 60th. FWIW they also have a really nice 2017 R9, for, 3995, guard off, in lemon.
I am looking at lemons, for want of a better phrase…

The used one is a private sale and not through a dealer.

I take it you are pleased with your 60th?

somebodyelseuk

I am looking at lemons, for want of a better phrase…

The used one is a private sale and not through a dealer.

I take it you are pleased with your 60th?
Yeah, I get that. What I mean is it's Andertons specced,maybe even has a none standatd serial number style. Guitarguitar have done them over the years, with 'GG' serial numbers . That kind of thing puts some buyers off. Not a problem when you're buying, could be when you're selling.
If you can try before you buy.... If it turns out to be 'The One', none of that stuff matters. If you can't and it isn't....
Very happy with my 60th, by the way.

El Gringo

Mine came without being fitted as that's they way I requested it . As I do not have pickguards mounted on any of my figured top Sunburst Les Paul's .

spooky

Mine came without being fitted as that's they way I requested it . As I do not have pickguards mounted on any of my figured top Sunburst Les Paul's .
I assume you ordered one and waited rather than buying from a shop's stock, as my understanding was that they are supplied from the factory with the guard fitted as standard (I'm not really sure why they would do that).

k3ith99

I've seen several that do not come with the guard installed. There's one or two on one of the forum sponsor dealers' site now. And several on Reverb.

El Gringo

I assume you ordered one and waited rather than buying from a shop's stock, as my understanding was that they are supplied from the factory with the guard fitted as standard (I'm not really sure why they would do that).

I think sometimes it depends on the shops preferences . I don't like them on figured top Les Paul's as I want to see the figured maple . You can hunt them down and find them thru Forum Sponsors as they are out there for sure !

MacFangus

If I were into sunburst LP's, I would not want mine drilled for a PG. Just sayin... there's got to be a better way. On solid colors (except for LP Custom BB), I love the look of a mounted PG.

guitplayer

I guess they are thinking not any original 1959`s came w/o guard installed??:##

NotJeffBeck

The Custom Shop is on a tear to be as faithful to historic specs as possible, when doing a Historic; even stuff you never see like the metal and hardware attached to a truss rod under the fretboard.
If it was on a '59 in '59, it'll be on a 2019 '59. That's the philosophy. I took mine off for a day or two but put it back on. The look of the Les Pauls that lit the flame in me in the first place all had the 'guard on them, so to me the PG looks right and complete.