• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Memphis Serial Numbers

McCarthy

I’ve researched online and cannot figure these out!!

Does anyone know how the historic Memphis reissue serial numbers work? I have a 1961 RI ES-335 that has a custom shop certificate and a Memphis orange label sticker, both with a 5-digit serial (also on back of headstock).

Any help greatly appreciated, cheers.

MC

60OjvHw.jpg

wmachine

I’ve researched online and cannot figure these out!!

Does anyone know how the historic Memphis reissue serial numbers work? I have a 1961 RI ES-335 that has a custom shop certificate and a Memphis orange label sticker, both with a 5-digit serial (also on back of headstock).

Any help greatly appreciated, cheers.

MC

"What you get" somewhat depends on what year you have. I suspect yours is prior to about 2014? 2010 maybe? A shot of your COA would help. I also suspect your COA says "Custom", not "Custom Shop". A deceptive practice by Gibson, they reference "Custom" for some models for a few years misleading everyone that it is a Custom Shop model. There was never a Custom Shop in Memphis. More specifically but not clearly stated by Gibson, those were "Custom Shop Series" models made in Memphis.

The serial number question is an entirely different situation. Most of the reissues came with 5 digit serial numbers. And some of the higher end models like the '59 reissues came with an "A" prefix. This was all done to, what Gibson claims, be more historically correct. Whatever. It does help identify it as a reissue if you don't have any paperwork.

McCarthy

3GNsb0W.jpg

Hey, thank you. I was told that it’s a 2018 model but not sure about that. Attached a pic of the orange label and the COA, thanks for your insights. The case is a Costa Rican-made lifton RI case if that helps.

MC

Last edited:

McCarthy

No, it may have at one point but I got it second hand and it just came with the COA and the case keys.

wmachine

3GNsb0W.jpg

Hey, thank you. I was told that it’s a 2018 model but not sure about that. Attached a pic of the orange label and the COA, thanks for your insights. The case is a Costa Rican-made lifton RI case if that helps.

MC

Note that your COA simply says "Gibson". That is not a Custom or Custom Shop COA. Most, if not all, Memhis guitars came with COAs. Either "Gibson" like yours or "Gibson Memphis" like this one:

ACtC-3eJGOO21dLvY8s4RARd4pjUzLby15HB4R4Uh-ctODAXZfl1VBreg2iWJhppSHJMA69EvlmdomPyurcS5jmy_3GbIv-b7gt6Y110E3YTgYvB75OvC4F3GTxw4X4Bb-hrd3SIlIJ5mOoiahSH4Q4e8oKFLg=s903-no

Custom Shop models usually come with COAs like this:

ACtC-3e0vGWU1IyDVirQ8neClhXQY7kRWA5WTy9JqojZd2IwsSnRY-YaXFuC_hJ4XMjmNJRzX70smqHrPutx2K4q-WvftoTtlsTJd5U5CYObhcwivIjL3CDiI2WWokpKr3IKs5vfMl9NhiaqB6Raid7HjAowWg=w678-h903-no

McCarthy

Yes, you’re right - I should have said COA instead of custom shop certificate.

I am just trying to figure out these serial numbers...

zhivago

It's a bummer you are missing the checklist, as that is where I got the year for my Memphis ES-345.

Check The Gear Page...maybe someone over there will know or has posted a thread about it before, as there are many Memphis ES owners there.

wmachine

Yes, you’re right - I should have said COA instead of custom shop certificate.

I am just trying to figure out these serial numbers...

There is nothing more to figure out. They used sequential 5 digit s/ns on some of the reissues.