• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NAMM custom shop '67 Flying V or M2M?

Icandrive55

Hey everyone,

I'm pretty torn on a 67 Flying V with a maestro I've been looking at. It was displayed at the 2020 NAMM convention. I'm mainly interested because it's a unique color that they don't normally produce. It looks like I can get it for around $5200 but that seems a bit steep to me. I am just wondering at that price if it makes more sense to do a M2M order? I'm not sure what something like a Flying V in a custom color would run me. I'm guessing at least 5k but is it closer to 7 or 8? That would be a significant difference.

$5200 might be a good deal for that guitar. It's hard to say because I see 1967 Custom V's going anywhere from $2500-$4000. It might be worth a little more being a NAMM piece in a one-off color. But worth that much more?

Tough call...

Icandrive55

Sorry, forgot to include photos! The pictures in the listing almost look more gold than green. I included a screenshot from a NAMM video because the color is a lot more vibrant.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/X2Iyf6F" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/X2Iyf6F"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tommy Tourbus

Hey everyone,

I'm pretty torn on a 67 Flying V with a maestro I've been looking at. It was displayed at the 2020 NAMM convention. I'm mainly interested because it's a unique color that they don't normally produce. It looks like I can get it for around $5200 but that seems a bit steep to me. I am just wondering at that price if it makes more sense to do a M2M order? I'm not sure what something like a Flying V in a custom color would run me. I'm guessing at least 5k but is it closer to 7 or 8? That would be a significant difference.

$5200 might be a good deal for that guitar. It's hard to say because I see 1967 Custom V's going anywhere from $2500-$4000. It might be worth a little more being a NAMM piece in a one-off color. But worth that much more?

Tough call...

Something to consider is those custom shop 67's sport the historically accurate narrower than standard nut width. If that's not your thing you could do m2m and probably specify the standard nut width

samsdad

Sorry, forgot to include photos! The pictures in the listing almost look more gold than green. I included a screenshot from a NAMM video because the color is a lot more vibrant.

<iframe allowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" class="imgur-embed-iframe-pub imgur-embed-iframe-pub-a-X2Iyf6F-false-540" scrolling="no" src="https://imgur.com/a/X2Iyf6F/embed?pub=true&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lespaulforum.com%2Fforum%2Fnewreply.php%3Fdo%3Dnewreply%26p%3D2866708&context=false&w=540" id="imgur-embed-iframe-pub-a-X2Iyf6F" style="height: 500px; width: 540px; margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px;"></iframe><script async="" src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
That color is inverness green with a tinted clear brown lacquer i experimented
with inverness green and several tinted clear coats and came up with the same color
with Rattle spray cans of nitro lacquer it was easy and fun to do on a firebird

Icandrive55

Tommy, good to know about the neck width. That's actually a plus. I'm pretty comfortable playing on a narrow nut like a Tele. The only thing I don't like are the huge baseball bat necks.

I'm sure that green firebird looks wicked! I've always wanted some kind of retro green color guitar. I was planning on doing a faded chartreuse sparkle V as a custom order at some point. This isn't quite that color but it's a similar vibe.

I'm leaning towards getting it at this point unless. For me, it's a pretty big plunge and means I'm going to have to put off getting a bunch of other gear I needed. Otherwise, I would have swooped it up already because I've been drooling over it for months.